Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #1 
Glock

Filter/No Filter?

Hello people. My name is Ian, and this is my first post here.
What will a Betta be missing out on, if he swims in water from an under the sink filter, as opposed to the high chlorine/ high ammonia/ and high ph levels of the regular tap water?
Also how does a Betta benefit from having a filter and substrate, rather than no filter but regular water changes?
Many thanks.
Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #2 
JKfish

Hey there, and welcome to the forum!

Filters can be beneficial when the tank is 5 gallons or more, because a cycle can be established, in which the tank converts ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. Nitrates are less dangerous to fish and accumulate slower than ammonia. However, in a smaller tank, no stable cycle can be established, so the filter is essentially useless... It can clean the little bits of this or that and swish the water around, but in a small tank, it doesn't help keep it truly clean.

Filters can remove the minerals and such necessary for any fish to grow and stay healthy. Dechlorinators remove the ammonia ( and sometimes depending on the brand) the very heavy metals. Bettas adapt well, so high ph eon't affect them if they are acclimatized to it.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Any Water with Chlorine would kill the Fish. Water Conditioner is VERY important. 5 and Up Gallons have the Opportunity Cycle. Below is too hard to Cycle. And a Filter in a Small Tank would be pretty harsh for the Betta. It could get stressed from the Water Current. Substrate would make it look better, but it's a PAIN to clean. I have Substrate. Gravel, Food sometimes get stuck in it. Anyways, if you want a Bare Bottom it would be easier to clean, but the Poo is obvious. And the Uneaten Food. Your choice.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 
lelei

Substrate, and stones, make the bottom more comfortable to the betta to rest on..and yes, it is beautiful as decor:)U could also go with an Undr gravel filter, which I have for a 3 gal tank..but still need to do some gravel vaccumming:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #5 
Glock

Thank you for your fast replies. I was very worried about the little guy last night. I purchased API freshwater tests, and was shocked to see in between 0.25 and 0.5 in the 2.5 gallon tank (filter/plastic plants/floating log/and a little java moss) I then tested the tap water and it was even higher level ammonia straight from the tap! (no wonder our eyes burn in the shower)
So this morning I put him into a Bookshelf tank with about 6 gallons of filtered and treated water (Tetra Betta safe..??) and he seems much happier. We are waiting to set it up with a filter and substrate, but it has not arrived yet.
Not sure what to do now.
Is there a better water treatment out there, that will get rid of heavy chlorine and ammonia from the tap?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #6 
JKfish

Prime by Seachem is very good... 2 drops per gallon works, but if there is still ammonia present after you dechlorinated the water and let it sit for about an hour, then you'll know in the future to use 3 drops per gallon. However, prime is very good, and I have a feeling 2 drops per gallon will work fine.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

There's what you have and the Best one I think is Prime by Seachem.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #8 
Glock

Thanks JKfish, we will try and get some tonight. Really appreciate the help.
Thanks for the welcome too
Seems a 6.6 gallon is bordeline size. From what I have seen with my very limited experience he prefers not having the flow from the filter, but maybe it is good for him to excersize and swim all the time, who knows?
Also it would be easier for him to make a bubble nest without the filter.
As far as cleaning, I don't mind, it's FUN but I want what is best for him.
If I don't go with the filter, is it less stress to remove him to change the water 100% or less stress to leave him there, and change 50%?
So many questions, and worries LOL
Have a GREAT weekend all!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #9 
JKfish

No problem :)
You can baffle the filter by using a rubber and to secure a piece of filter media spong on the inlet and outlet. If it has a u tube, just pull it up a bit and secure at the desired flow.

Personally, I think you could do a cycle just fine. Make sure you do not remove the filter media and that you do leave the filter running constantly... That's what holds the beneficial bacteria that cycles a tank. Don't over feed, and do a 50% water change once a week... Eventually, you will reach a fish in cycle safely~ if he ever looks claimed or stressed, do a 50% water change right away with a gravel vacuum. If you have a siphon, doing a 50% wc is easy and you can do it without removing him. If you get a clean plastic shopping bag and lay it on the surface, you can pour the water on that. It makes sure you can pour the water quickly without creating too much of a current.

This is a good site to read up on cycles http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
Old 06-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #10 
lelei

I use the Tetra Aqua safe..and that is just fine..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote