Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #11 
MissFutureVet

I don't know what dropsy is, or how to treat it, or the symptoms. And I don't want to feed it a pea because I've heard that it wasn't good for them.
MissFutureVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #12 
zombiegirl

One of the biggest indicators of Dropsy is pineconing - where the scales lift away from the body and the fish resembles a pinecone. From what I understand it happens in the later stages of the illness. I'm not sure how to treat it. There are others here with far more knowledge than I. You should try looking at the sticky in the disease forum. It helps a lot.

I've heard frozen Daphnia can help with constipation. I'm actually waiting for our LPS to get a shipment in so I can try feeding it to my fish. I have a CT that's going through this right now. He's on day eight with nothing and looking bloated. Same thing as you posted; I fed him a tiny bit of frozen brine shrimp this morning and he blew up like a balloon. I'm on day three of ES and still nothing. I'm getting a little concerned, too.

I hope the issues clear up with your fish quickly. Keep us posted.
zombiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #13 
MissFutureVet

Well thanks for the help guys, but I still dont have a definite solution to my problem, for that matter, I still dont now what the problem is. Hopefully someone will come along with more ideas or confirmations on this pooping problem.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #14 
MissFutureVet

Hey guys, still looking for answers over here..............
Old 06-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #15 
Sakura8

It sounds like your boy is constipated and/or may have a mild bacterial infection. Increase the epsom salt dosage to 3 tsps per gallon and add tannins (Indian Almond Leaf or naturally dried oak leaves) if you have them. If he'll eat, try feeding him a piece of frozen (NOT freeze-dried) brine shrimp.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #16 
MissFutureVet

Ok, I dont have oak leaves or IAL nearby, so I will have to order them online. I also dont have any brine shrimp, but I can pick them up from my LPS tomorrow. will live brine shrimp work as well as frozen? Also, if he has a bacterial infection, would I need to pick up some AQ salt?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Live brine shrimp will work well too, just rinse under cold water. If it's a bacterial infection, you'll still want to stick with epsom salt. It helps to leech out the fluid buildup caused by the infection, whereas AQ salt would only increase the swelling.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #18 
MissFutureVet

How long should he be kept in epsom salt, he has been in it since Sunday. If I continue to keep him in there, will it harm him?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #19 
Sakura8

You can keep him in epsom salt indefinitely, as long as he needs it. It won't hurt him.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #20 
MissFutureVet

Alright, thanks. I did a 50% water change and increased the ES to 3t/gal. I did some searching online for IAL and found that all the places that sell them are overseas, and that will take too long to get to my house. There are no oak trees near me, so idk what to do about that.
and just an update, his fins are clamped now, which is not good. Sheesh, I'm so worried about him...........