Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #1 
SageMyster

Exclamation Horrible Septicemia? Something else? Help!

My poor boy Calvin has been holding on for a long time since three of his brothers all died at once of some sort of bacterial infection. He's very sick, and about two weeks ago, he wouldn't move at all - not for food, nothing. His fins began to look the way they do in this picture.

He lives in a 2.5gal tank to himself. Water/pH levels are all perfect, biweekly water changes, 4 pellets of Betta BioGold a day. I first put him on Tetra Lifeguard All-in-One treatment for 5 days, and he started moving around again. He's since been a very active fishie.

However, seeing as this medication did not completely solve the problem (still septicemia, still in bad, bad shape), I put him on T.C. Tetracycline anti-bacterial treatment for 4 days. As you can see, it did nothing. He's never looked as bad as he's looked today.

What should I do? Is it even SAFE to put him on something else right now? Could the antibiotics interact if there's still some in his tank, or in his system? Advice appreciated!
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 
SageMyster

bump? :/
Old 06-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Looks like a combo of mild fin rot and definitely septicemia. Do you have any allergies to sulfa medications? If not, I recommend you try API Triple Sulfa.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #4 
SageMyster

Thank you so much! Finally, a response. It got worrisome there. I will try out the new medication. Do you have a suggested waiting period before trying the new meds after having him on two others so recently?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #5 
Sakura8

A few days on just epsom salt. Not quite as concerned about the fin rot as I am about the septicemia. If we can get rid of that, the fin rot will be much easier to tackle if it doesn't go away with the Triple Sulfa too.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote