Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #21 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
All I wanted was to keep a couple of fish. Now I'm raising plants and bacteria. <rueful laughter>

I will not use that as my sig-line. But I sure feel it.
I know how you feel....I'm even in the process of completely restarting my 10 gallon divided tank. I had a bad brown and green algae bloom and I decided that I wanted to change up the look a bit, too. Switched to sand and will be putting my fish-in cycle on here. I have live plants, so it might be few weeks before it's fully cycled. That's the way it was last time. I just hope that the well water has improved with the nitrates.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #22 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
... Once I get this one going, I'll see if I can try to find some of the tetra product and see how that goes. :)
Once you get this one going you'll always have a batch of tame bacteria ready and willing to help you cycle any tank or filter.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #23 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeseeker View Post
I ....will be putting my fish-in cycle on here. I have live plants, so it might be few weeks before it's fully cycled. That's the way it was last time. I just hope that the well water has improved with the nitrates.
I assume you have seeded biomedia. Is that how you can do a fish-in cycle in only a few weeks? I suppose putting seeded media or a cycled filter in a tank technically counts as cycling. I think a new word is called for here. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #24 
Hopeseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
I assume you have seeded biomedia. Is that how you can do a fish-in cycle in only a few weeks? I suppose putting seeded media or a cycled filter in a tank technically counts as cycling. I think a new word is called for here. Any suggestions?
No, it will have some old gravel in a nylon in it to seed it, but I will be doing a fish-in cycle. I did it last time, too, just didn't really have anything to seed it with. But, my fish will be in the water as it sorts itself out. I'll just have to be OCD on the water tests and if it goes a notch past a certain level, I'll just do a 50% water change. The only way to do fish in is to be water testing happy and water change happy (when needed). And by water test happy, I mean: Everyday. The last time, I was trying to do water changes every other day, or so, when it was starting to show highish readings. It took a little over a month to finally get fully cycled reading from the water testing. Maybe, with the seeding , it might be a little less than a month. But, we shall see.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #25 
LittleWatty

I don't exactly have a true cycle log, but I can share my experience when cycling my 6.6 gallon. I started cycling it the day I got my tank (June 1st), and let it be for several weeks. After almost a month, it wasn't doing anything, and I was having some real difficulties with my 3 gallon tank that had my betta fish in it. High nitrites for no apparent reason, a film that kept developing, etc.

I purchased Microbe-Lift "Nite-Out II" from my local Petco, and started adding it to my 6 gallon. About 1tsp a day, except for the days I wasn't around. Over a weekend while I was gone (two days after purchase, so two doses), my ammonia went from about 8.0ppm to .50ppm, and my Nitrites were through the roof. I kept adding the stuff, as it's got all the types of Nitrifying bacteria in it, a week or so later my Nitrites crashed as well. A week and a half later, my Nitrates are still high, but my fish and shrimp are enjoying the room of the 6.6, and I haven't had any problems. I don't remember how much the stuff cost, but it looked more legit than the "quick start" bacteria bottles by other brands. This stuff isn't sold as a "cycle starter" but as a ammonia/nitrite reducer. Technically the same thing, but it doesn't claim to start and finish a cycle in a matter of days.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #26 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeseeker View Post
....it will have some old gravel in a nylon in it to seed it,.... Maybe, with the seeding , it might be a little less than a month. But, we shall see.
Right, Hopeseeker. Put that seeded gravel in the filter or in a high flow area. I'm sure it will take less than a month. In fact, with sufficient bacteria, it's practically cycled, already.

Yeah, Watty, they never claim those products are cycle starters or tank cyclers at all...just "cycle helpers." And they all suggest they be used in a fish-in cycle, or to add stock immediately or for increasing stock..

So far, I'm tracking Tetra Safestart, Dr Tim's One-and-Only and now Microbe-Lift Nite-Out II (thank you, Watty). All three claim to have Nitrosomonas, Nitrospira and/or Nitrobacter. those are the bacteria responsuble for eliminating ammonia and nitrire. Anyone using anything else with good results?

Maybe modern technology is finally able to produce an effective "bacteria in a bottle."

Last edited by Hallyx; 07-12-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #27 
RainbowSocks

Well, like I posted before, Jungle's Start Zyme (from Walmart lol) worked well for me. I just used one dose. I figured it was better than nothing, since I didn't have anywhere to get some BB from an established tank.

My filter died yesterday, so I had to go get a new one. I'm hoping the chunk of the old filter, and the biomedia I threw in the bottom, will help keep the tank cycled. Especially since I'm going on vacation in four days. D:
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #28 
Hopeseeker

First official test of this cycling! Day 6 of the boys being in the recently re-cleaned divided 10 gallon!
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm (Source water is already 40ppm coming out of tap. We, unfortunately, have well water in the country.)

Last edited by Hopeseeker; 07-18-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #29 
MSG

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...Stability.html
http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-123-St.../dp/B0002APIIW

I have a 100mL bottle of this Stability.

Only used a capful, but I split that capful between 3 of the filters that I stuffed with established media from the BioWheel 400.

Hally, your 2nd post is the cycle log from your 3G? Are you using drops of 100% ammonia?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #30 
MSG

Watty, thanks for posting the 8.0 results

My Marineland Eclipse 6 guppy tank might have gone up to 8.0 maybe higher because the week the ammonia shot up to the 6.0ppm range, I did a 50% change every day & it made NO difference in the 2nd test I ran on the ammonia. That's when I thought my ammonia test kit went bad & I brought some water to the fish store to check if something was wrong.

Not the case, user error.

One of the kits comes with Ammonia Test Bottle #1 & Ammonia Test Bottle #2.

I was using 8 drops from each bottle = 16 drops total. 2x the recommended dose.

An extra note....

I found that the old water test kits will still work as long as they weren't kept out in the sun.

One kit I have should be at least 20 years old. I was going to drop it off during hazardous waste recycling, but got busy.

Eventually when I started to actually do water test, I worked the old solution into the routine. The solution bottle is all discolored & stained yellow, but amazingly it still give accurate results though.

I was told at the fish place, that my kit has a life of about 2 years. Now that I know I was the cause of the inaccurate results, I totally disagree.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote