Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #1 
lelei

Question How often should a Fish Poop?

Gotta put this out there, This is something that has been wracking my brain for a while now..lol..and also helps us to see whether to treat for an illness, if we don't see some poop in the tank, well, if not, how long should it go before we see something, because with regular tank cleaning, including gravel vaccumming, we might not see the poop, hmm..well, with that said, what is the average poop cycle for a fish,?

Does anyone have any idea..I was thinking a healthy fish, would be 2x a week, but if 2 weeks pass, and only one poop, would that be a problem?? or Normal..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 
iElBeau

I'd say more than that... My guy poops 4 or more times a week when he isn't constipated. Id think probably close to every day or every other day though. When he's constipated it's usually two or three and one or two will be abnormally large and gross lol.
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #3 
zombiegirl

With my CT, I'm lucky he if poops once a week, but he has constipation issues. Right now he's on day eight with nada and he's looking a little bloated. My DT goes about every other day and my HM is daily doer lol. I have no idea what's normal, but I've learned what to expect from my fish. Each one is different.
zombiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

It depends a bit on the species, but fish should poop a few hours after a meal. Just like with humans, once a week would be really really bad. My goldfish normally "do their business" about 3-4 hours after a meal whereas my bettas will sometimes poop within an hour of eating. Temperature is also going to play a large roll here. Higher temps mean faster metabolisms which mean faster poops.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #5 
sholee

My betta is fed 3 pellets a day 5x a week and 2 bloodworms once a week. I see his poop usually every other day, if not every day. :)
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I see mine poop 1-2 times a day, since I feed them 1-2 times a day
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Haha, I asked this question when I first joined the forum too. OFL said they should be pooping fairly often but in observing my own bettas, I've noticed they really have different schedules. Halfmoons tend to poop less than other types, for some reason. The type of food you feed also plays a part. A food made mostly with fillers will produce more waste because there's less nutrients for the fish to use. A good food will produce less waste.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I never paid any attention to how often mine poop but I know they do because I see it. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

basically xD
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #10 
lelei

Wow that is very intetesting Sakura..I notice soewhat less poop lately and I got worried..but hes been eating Hakari on a reg basis so its like 1x every other day..or 2x every 2-3 days..its on an odd schedule..and never the same..Thanks for that info:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote