Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #1 
HermitGuy101

Exclamation To move or not to move?

It's been two days and her tail looks rag like. Is this normal? Should I pull her from breeding? There are no eggs yet.

Thanks for the help.
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #2 
Mo

Are you ready for breeding yet? What supplies do you have? Has the pair been conditioned? Has the make built a bubblenest? Can we a see a picture of the spawning tank?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #3 
HermitGuy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Are you ready for breeding yet? What supplies do you have? Has the pair been conditioned? Has the make built a bubblenest? Can we a see a picture of the spawning tank?
Huge bubble nest, they're both healthy, they've got a filter heater everything.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Its not uncommon for either of the breeders to get rip/nip fins and missing scales during the spawning process....sometimes it can get pretty violent-as long as the female isn't stressed to the point that she is panting, clamped, staying with her head in a corner refusing to move and she has lots and lots of places to go hide and rest.....I would leave her....sometimes it can take several days to a week.........With that said......need some more info....

How old are the breeders, how did you condition them for spawning, what size is the spawning tank, water level, temp, any live plants, filter, nest anchor....generally your spawning method.....Also, is this their first time to be spawned.....

Lots of different ways to spawn this species successfully......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #5 
HermitGuy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Its not uncommon for either of the breeders to get rip/nip fins and missing scales during the spawning process....sometimes it can get pretty violent-as long as the female isn't stressed to the point that she is panting, clamped, staying with her head in a corner refusing to move and she has lots and lots of places to go hide and rest.....I would leave her....sometimes it can take several days to a week.........With that said......need some more info....

How old are the breeders, how did you condition them for spawning, what size is the spawning tank, water level, temp, any live plants, filter, nest anchor....generally your spawning method.....Also, is this their first time to be spawned.....

Lots of different ways to spawn this species successfully......
I noticed you responded about 5 seconds right after I uploaded the pics, so please refresh the page. And thanks! She looks beat up but I think she'll be fine. I'm not sure on age, but the female has a big egg spot. They're hanging under the nest, and chasing each other wildly around the tank. i have a hospital tank set up if they get too violent, however. And yes, first time.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #6 
Mo

I wouodnt breed her if you got either of them from a petstore, pet store Bettas are usually too old for spawning

PS. I would lower the water level to about 4 inches, and add many more plants and hiding places
Old 06-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #7 
HermitGuy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
I wouodnt breed her if you got either of them from a petstore, pet store Bettas are usually too old for spawning

PS. I would lower the water level to about 4 inches, and add many more plants and hiding places
*Facepalm* It's a bit late I guess. They're both petstore bettas. I'll lower the
water level...Carefully... And I'll add plants.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #8 
Mo

Also. I would remove the gravel aswell. This makes it hard for spawning as the male has to pick the eggs from the bottom of the tank, sometimes the eggs will get stuck in the gravel, be hard to find, etc, so no substrate is usually better, and fry sometimes will wedge themselves in gravel

Last edited by Mo; 06-16-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #9 
HermitGuy101

Grrrr... I couldn't lower water without obstructing the nest, so i just put what i got back in. So far behaviors are what they should be, though. And the nest is looking exactly the way it was.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #10 
HermitGuy101

Wait... Removing gravel would require me to remove the bettas.... It's so far along, should i just let nature take it's course and remove that for a later spawn?

Tags
breeding, tail biting