Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #1 
enchanted01

Question Need heater advice

I have set up a 5 gallon tank with a filter. It's nearly finished cycling and I had hoped to get a heater long before now, but no one around here carries small heaters. The woman at the pet shop said it would be best to get a 25 watt heater for a 5 gal. Which no one here carries. My problem is also that I have an acrylic tank. Will it matter which type I use because of that? I will have to order one online but I have never used heaters before. Which type would be best? Any advice would be really appreciated.
enchanted01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #2 
lelei

I am currently using a Tetra 2/10 for a 3 gal tank, also acrylic..and it keeps the temp at a steady 78 degrees..make sure you have a thermometer as well, to monitor the temp..but as far as other heaters go, you'd want something submersible, and adjustable, the Tetra one I mentioned, is not adjustable..I hear the Hydor 25 watt is good for a 5 gallon. the one below @ Dr foster's and Smith on line:)

lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #3 
lelei

Petco and Petsmart carry the Tetra brand ones, I beleive Walmart does too:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #4 
Kenny G

I would recommend a Hydor Theo submersible aquarium 25 watt heater. I have an acrylic tank as well. The woman in the pet shop is correct the rule of thumb is generally 5 watts to every gallon of water. You can order this from amazon.com its about 21 dollars (plus shipping). Amazon carries others as well that might be cheaper. I would check and read the reviews, then pick the one you feel will be best for your betta.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #5 
enchanted01

Thank you everyone. I will look into the Hydor heater. I just wanted to make sure that 25 watts was right.
enchanted01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #6 
Shadyr

I've found that the ones without a temp control do not really work all that well. The bigger ones with temp controls are a bit more, but work much better. I got one for my sick betta, so I could keep him warmer while I did AQ salts, and I've been aquiring them for the rest of the tanks now too.

I have one of these and like it a lot, fully submersible.

http://www.petco.com/product/113622/...escription-tab

My other is a different brand, but is also fully submersible and has a dial temp control on top.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote