Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #1 
CreativePotato

How old are bettas sold? (chain stores)

I'm just curious, what with the 'Baby Bettas' on the PetCo market now. Two girls I bought recently are just over an inch with fins, and one of them had been there for a month. Isn't there some sort of limit to how young you can sell animals?
CreativePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

So far it doesn't seem that way IMO.

"As long as an animal can eat on it's own without the aid of parents then it's basically sellable."

That's what a Petsmart lady told me
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

I saw my Petsmart has babies too, but they're not as tiny as the ones I've seen posted.

I'm getting a dragon plakat next, but they're older
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #4 
Ramble

Sadly, baby fish are considered self-sufficient much sooner than puppies or kittens.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #5 
ZackyBear

I feel sorry for the babies too. the Pet stores feed them pellets or flakes when they really need to still be fed live foods. I would buy them all from my store if I could, but then it would only encourage them to buy more.

*cries*
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #6 
Bladezero

I've seen anything between 5 weeks old to 1 year old...

Got 2 new betta today(fresh from shipment) one of them was overfed before the tip.. Poor thing, the baggie had more poop then fish..
I'll post a picture of them after they finish acclimation and regain their colors.. Right now both of them have stress stripes and barely any color.
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #7 
Arctic Mama

Fish are not dogs and cats, obviously. Once the betta fry are free swimming and have mouths big enough to eat the food being fed to them (usually 2-3 months) they can be jarred and sold. Most betta in pet stores tend to be older than younger, 5-12 months, as their finance is more impressive when they are more fully grown (despite being out of their breeding prime toward the end of that).
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #8 
Ramble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Fish are not dogs and cats, obviously. Once the betta fry are free swimming and have mouths big enough to eat the food being fed to them (usually 2-3 months) they can be jarred and sold.
That is true, but the problem is, these baby bettas aren't big enough to eat the food given to them. I pulled one of the managers aside a few days ago because they were feeding the babies pellets and bloodworms, which were far too big for them to eat. Some of the baby bettas I saw this morning were only 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. Most will probably die within a week, as there is no info out there for new owners to raise a fry.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Most betta in pet stores tend to be older than younger, 5-12 months, as their finance is more impressive when they are more fully grown (despite being out of their breeding prime toward the end of that).
I'm not convinced this is true. It is to the breeders advantage to clear his equipment as soon as possible to make room for the next spawn. Keeping, feeding and maintaining a fish costs time and money. Better the retailer should incur that cost.

The retailer's margin on a Betta is precariously slim. They are an expensive fish to keep in stock, with those individual containers to clean, individual feedings, too. Takes a lot of the employee's time compared to other fish.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #10 
ZackyBear

Not to mention, that because the baby bettas are cheaper, people who don't know much about them or just want a small/cheap pet (and think they are easier to care for/raise) would buy them over a $5-$20 dollar adult.

"It was only $2, so why not?" <--- basically.