Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 
Mppsu2003

Changing filter cartridge with algae

I had mentioned before that the filter cartridge has a lot of green on it. I know that's a good sign for bacteria, but how often should I be changing the cartridge now? I don't want to mess anything up
Mppsu2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I only change my filter media when it is falling apart....that usually is 1-2 times a year.

I do remove the filter media a couple of times a month or when the water flow is compromised and give it a good rinse/swish in either old tank water or dechlorinated water to get the big pieces of gunk off.

Since the good bacteria are sticky they adhere to the filter media and it takes a lot to get it all off. You can kill the good bacteria with too hot of water, dehydrations or water that has chlorine.

If you want to use charcoal (not needed IMO/E) you need to change this out per package directions since it is short lived and can't be recharged,
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote