Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #1 
fluffnstuff

Question Questions about getting plants from a local pond

Can I use plants in my betta's tank that i hot from a pond near where i live, If i can what should i do before adding them to its tank?
fluffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #2 
lvandert

I wouldn't. There could be chemicals, there will be snails (or their eggs) and there will be parasites your fish can't fight off. Stick with store bought live plants, and even those make sure you quarantine them
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #3 
Mo

A breeder friend if mine, got a few plants from a local river. She told me to disinfect them properly before putting them in the tank. She said she learned to do that the hard way. I would recommend just sticking to plants from a store
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

First make sure it is legal.......

I collect lots of plants and aquatic creatures and I have found it to be pretty safe as far as parasites, pathogens...etc.....

You do need to QT-this is a very important step......

For plants-I have found that during the Qt period they also need to be acclimated to the change in light...going from natural sunlight to artificial light can stress them.

What I do-I use a light colored bucket and place the plants in-this way I can see the bottom better and any critters that I don't want to transfer into my aquarium-some are predators that can wipe out tanks of fish.......Anyway...I change the water every couple of days....But most important is the gradual change in light....I place the bucket in lighting close to the collection site lighting and slowly move the bucket to less and less light and finally in the house with florescent lighting-staying on at least 12h/day and then decreasing to about 10h/day PP...this can take 4-6 weeks......

Remember once you take native species and intro them into a tropical environment-They can never be returned to the native habitat or you can risk harming the native habitat from tropical pathogen/parasites that they may not have immunity against.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #5 
fluffnstuff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
First make sure it is legal.......

I collect lots of plants and aquatic creatures and I have found it to be pretty safe as far as parasites, pathogens...etc.....

You do need to QT-this is a very important step......

For plants-I have found that during the Qt period they also need to be acclimated to the change in light...going from natural sunlight to artificial light can stress them.

What I do-I use a light colored bucket and place the plants in-this way I can see the bottom better and any critters that I don't want to transfer into my aquarium-some are predators that can wipe out tanks of fish.......Anyway...I change the water every couple of days....But most important is the gradual change in light....I place the bucket in lighting close to the collection site lighting and slowly move the bucket to less and less light and finally in the house with florescent lighting-staying on at least 12h/day and then decreasing to about 10h/day PP...this can take 4-6 weeks......

Remember once you take native species and intro them into a tropical environment-They can never be returned to the native habitat or you can risk harming the native habitat from tropical pathogen/parasites that they may not have immunity against.....
Should i add anything specific to the water or just regular treated tank water? Also thanks a bunch for the advise. Since it takes so long ill save it for the plants i really want.
fluffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Just treated tap water...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote