Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Buying fish for plants?

Am I the only one who started keeping fish because I wanted a pretty planted tank?

I love indoor plants, so the first time I saw an anubias I just HAD to get one. I had no idea how I was supposed to fertilize an aquatic plant, so I got two feeder minnows to keep the plant company. Unfortunately, at that time I didn't know much about fish and they died because I didn't put any dechlorinator in.
when I went back to the pet store to grab a bottle of dechlorinator, I saw a pretty blue betta fish, and the betta bug infected me from there...

where it all started.

my first betta

Anyone else have interesting stories of how they started off?

Last edited by ao; 06-14-2012 at 05:06 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

... That's exactly how I started, for the tank not fish.
Actually, I was supposed to become a Shrimpist, master of the shrimps. But then my dad randomly bought me a betta because my tank look empty to him. o-o
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
... That's exactly how I started, for the tank not fish.
Actually, I was supposed to become a Shrimpist, master of the shrimps. But then my dad randomly bought me a betta because my tank look empty to him. o-o
Posted via Mobile Device
And then the betta ate all the shrimps? XD
Old 06-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #4 
Aus

Bahaha @ ^

I started out with a random, noobish betta purchase but quickly came to enjoy keeping aquatic plants as much as my fish. I'm just starting to really gather a few species now, all low-light for the moment.. NPT tanks are next.. and I can't wait to get my DIY CO2-producing substrate happening, see if I can't grow slightly more demanding plants minus high-tech stuff. I also would so buy a few minnows to accent a nicely planted bowl or tank.. <--plantgeek

Last edited by Aus; 06-14-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No I hadn't gotten shrimps yet. I was going to have the tank planted more first, but my dad just couldn't wait.

CO2 producing substrate? How does that work? o-o I can imagine it running out and then messing with the pH.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Bahaha @ ^

I started out with a random, noobish betta purchase but quickly came to enjoy keeping aquatic plants as much as my fish. I'm just starting to really gather a few species now, all low-light for the moment.. NPT tanks are next.. and I can't wait to get my DIY CO2-producing substrate happening, see if I can't grow slightly more demanding plants minus high-tech stuff. I also would so buy a few minnows to accent a nicely planted bowl or tank.. <--plantgeek
I actually find that minnows get a little too large to be nice accentin material, unless you have some white clouds, those are splendid :). But I myself would prefer endlers :D (or any colorful small fish) I've realized that tiny fish creates the illusion of a huge tank :)
I love tiny fish, I'm currently drooling over the livebearer killifish that I cant afford on aquabid.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #7 
Sheldon31

I chose my fish knowing I wanted a planted tank so mollies were out of the question. When I fostered Sid the demon Molly he destroyed my plants and I was devastated. I love houseplants but I don't really take care of them very well I'm ashamed but because they don't remind me they need feeding and pruning it doesn't get done unlike my cats who tell me loudly when they are hungry and my fish who have become routinely fed and cleaned.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

Ao, you fish looks like Buddha :D

And my story with Buddha is a bit different. It was around my birthday and I wanted something, so I went to the petstore and checked out the bettas. There were about 6 bettas in cups, and they all were pretty much the same. Buddha didn't stand out to me that much, and I almost got a red veiltail instead. However, my friend noted that the one betta who was lounging around had a red shine to him. There was a little kid there and he almost took said betta, and I felt like i had to intervene. I took the betta, without even caring about if the kid wanted him (I know, I feel bad), and I searched for a tank. As I was thinking about a name, i saw one of the tank decorations and I got the name-"buddha!"

I feel better about taking Buddha from the kid though, he was walking around with the red one he took and was shaking the bag t-t
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
Ao, you fish looks like Buddha :D

And my story with Buddha is a bit different. It was around my birthday and I wanted something, so I went to the petstore and checked out the bettas. There were about 6 bettas in cups, and they all were pretty much the same. Buddha didn't stand out to me that much, and I almost got a red veiltail instead. However, my friend noted that the one betta who was lounging around had a red shine to him. There was a little kid there and he almost took said betta, and I felt like i had to intervene. I took the betta, without even caring about if the kid wanted him (I know, I feel bad), and I searched for a tank. As I was thinking about a name, i saw one of the tank decorations and I got the name-"buddha!"

I feel better about taking Buddha from the kid though, he was walking around with the red one he took and was shaking the bag t-t
heehee, mine was completely blue. with a little cobalt iridescence whenever he was flaring and showing off. I was super creative and named him blue. I'm glad his new owner kept his name :D he was also prone to blowing his tail whenever he flared too much. Always healed in a day or so, so i didnt worry too much
Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #10 
Alcemistnv

wow o.o

Blue is a cute name, no matter how simple :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote