Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #1 
MsChris

Crumpet disappeared

My first betta fish, Crumpet, is gone. He disappeared. I can only assume he died and was consumed by the shrimp in the tank.

I had only had him for a week and a half. He was in a ten-gallon tank with three Amano shrimp and one blue mystery snail. The tank is filtered and heated. The temperature was steady. I tested the water every day and the pH was always the same, there was no ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates. He ate well but not too much. He seemed very happy and healthy. He was purchased at a local fish store (NOT Petsmart or Petco) that has an excellent reputation. I have never seen sick or dead fish in their tanks. I tested the water my betta came home in and all levels seemed perfect. I acclimated my betta very slowly following all the advice I'd read.

This morning he was acting normal. He had no symptoms of any of the common diseases I have read about. A few hours later I didn't see him and thought he was hiding in the plants. When I opened the lid and he didn't come swimming up I got nervous, but he was a small young betta and I still thought he was hiding. I moved a few of the plants and he still didn't come out. I took every plant and rock formation out one at a time until all that was left in the tank was the substrate (Tahitian moon sand), the three shrimp, and the snail. Crumpet was not in the tank.

He did not jump out of the tank. Although there were small spots on either side of the filter where he could conceivably have fit, he was not on the desk or the floor around the desk.

He was not sucked into the filter. I took it out, took it apart, rinsed it out, and did not find any sign of him. It is a very mild filter, anyway.

He may have been sick, but as I said, he was acting completely normal last night and this morning. He had no signs of velvet, dropsy, ich, fin rot, etc. He was eating and swimming normally.

The shrimp, who are normally very active, are just hanging out in a plant right now. Perhaps they are full from eating my betta? If my betta died and the shrimp ate him would there be any change in the water? I immediately tested the pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels and all were exactly the same as they were when I tested them before going to bed last night.

I'm really very upset right now. Even though I'd only had him for a week and a half I had become very attached to him. He was such a funny and personable little guy. I feel terrible. At least if I'd known he was sick I wouldn't be so surprised. If I'd found his body on the floor or something I'd have known he jumped out. Right now I don't even know for sure what happened. I feel horribly guilty. Also, I'm nervous about putting anything else in the tank without knowing what happened to him.

Please, if you have any suggestions, thoughts, or advice I'm happy to hear it. I really felt like I did everything I could to make Crumpet happy and healthy in a really nice environment. I feel awful. I miss him already.
Attached Images

MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

I know this sounds weird but have you looked UNDER the tank stand on the floor or in the filter ?

He may be stuck have you checked EVERYWHERE in and around the tank.

I have had jumpers who jumped around 6 inches through a filter opening in a hood and ended on the floor under the tank dead the next morning

Idk how but they did so I would check. It would take a while for the shrimp to consume him.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

I'm sorry for your loss
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #4 
MsChris

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Yes, I really feel like I have looked everywhere. The tank is not on a tank stand. It is on a large oak desk. I looked on the desk and under it. I even got out a flashlight and crawled around on the floor. I took the entire filter apart piece by piece. No sign of my poor little guy. I read that it wouldn't take shrimp very long to eat him. :( Thank you for the suggestions, though. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me about those possibilities.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I'm so sorry to hear this... If the Shrimp did eat him, don't they look a bit Fat? It would give you a clue... So sorry...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #6 
BETTACHKALOVE

so sorry:( I am wondering if it could go in the filter and then through the filter and in to the water and than shrimp ate the rest....sorry if i am writing that. I had my fish stuck in the filter before ...

If he was eating and active i would think he was not sick . Something is definitely happened.

So sorry (

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 06-14-2012 at 11:19 PM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #7 
Aus

How strange, and I'm sorry for your loss..

But I don't think three shrimp could consume an entire betta in just a few hours. If they were a carnivorous species, and large - maybe. Or 30 starving shrimp.. But cherry shrimp (I'm assuming they are a small species like that) just don't eat that much to consume a whole betta in that time. And if they could, there'd be ammonia from all the debris, and a skeleton... Not to be morbid.

I think he's jumped..and is somewhere there - betta aren't big and it's surprising where they end up sometimes, from all the posts I've read on jumpers. And ..I hate to ask but.. is there anyone who'd take/remove him?

I just don't see the shrimp as the culprits, sorry.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #8 
BETTACHKALOVE

And also i am wondering if after a long time you able to see it at all. I think he would dry up ???

I had betta jumped out and landed on the floor pretty far away from his bowl. I was lucky because my boyfriend herd something and didn't understand what it was. Then he looked on the floor and saw something, which he thought was trash. It was deem in the room. He picked it up and realized it my betta, and put it in the tank. He saved him. It was long time ago.
Since it happened i always leave space between the top of the tank and the water level.
MsCris so sorry i know it sad, but it happened to a lot of us, and we are learning every day:(

Old 06-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #9 
MsChris

The shrimp are large Amano shrimp and Crumpet was a very small young betta. The shrimp were larger than he was. From what I've read it wouldn't take them very long at all.

I really have looked everywhere around the desk. If he did jump out I can't imagine I wouldn't be able to find him.

No, there is definitely no one who would have taken him. My partner and I live in a condo. No one else has been inside and she is very upset for me.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #10 
BETTACHKALOVE

Sorry i hope you will considerate to rescue another betta. Sorry that I am writing that, but I just feel bad for you….It not your fault and I know you feel bad but you can’t change anything and he is definitely not alive …
But i would really change the water in the tank before you put another betta there, since we not sure where is Crumpet. In case his remaining in the tank and it will decompose and can give fish bacterial infection.

If it would be me I would even disinfect the tank.