Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 AM   #21 
ao
TFK Moderator

I think I understand how you feel right now. there's this little tingle that he might still be around somewhere. and it's horrible to not know where he is.

I've had an otto dissappear from my tank once. Not a trace was left. he was there when I left the house and completely gone when I returned. I poked around everywhere with my giant pair of tweezers and still found nothing. That incident left me so sad...and completely at a loss as to what might have happened. it was the day directly after purchase so I can only assume he was an unfortunate abused one my other ottos fortunately survived very well.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #22 
BETTACHKALOVE

If you have a cat that is the answer. Of course if cat found him or even dog they would eat it. That is probably what happened. It even happened to one of my coworker:(
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #23 
sunlight

I am very sorry for your loss but i think you need cover for your tank if you going to have another betta. My bettas resting on the top of the water surface and if i come close to the tank they all on top so i think it is possibilities that cat can eat them very easily . And it a lot of stories like that.
Sorry it not your fault though at all , don't blame yourself. Next time just be aware about that. Good luck with another betta.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #24 
MsChris

Well, the tank definitely has a cover. There was a space of about one inch on either side of the filter, though, which I have now taped over just in case that is what happened. My cat is terrified of the tank, though, and it is on a desk the cat never goes on. If my cat did get Crumpet it was after he'd already jumped out. Either way, thank you for the advice. Still not sure if Crumpet jumped out or not but there is absolutely 100% no way another betta could jump out, so that's good. Thanks again.
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #25 
MsChris

And thank you to everyone else who has commented. I really appreciate the thoughts and comments. And aokashi, that is very much how I feel. I'm sorry about your otto.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #26 
lelei

MsChris, I know how u feel as well, not with a fishy, but with a hamster that we had previously..who ran away..(assuming)..cuz we came home, he was gone, and I never found him either, never knew what happened to him..there is an emptiness, that is hard to fill..but if you open ur heart again to another fishy,. u will find temptation hard to resist..i sure did:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #27 
zombiegirl

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost one to dropsy today, but I was prepared for him to go. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be blindsided like you were I hope you decide to give another betta a loving home.
zombiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #28 
MsChris

Thank you both so much. Leilei, I'm sorry about the hamster and zombiegirl I'm sorry you lost one today. I do plan to give another betta a loving home. :) The tiny holes on either side of the filter are completely covered up now just in case Crumpet did jump out. I took every single thing out of the tank, got rid of the sand, put in new (rinsed) round stones, conditioned some water, and am basically starting over waiting for the tank to cycle. Just in case Crumpet had been sick or there was something going on with the water I didn't feel comfortable just sticking another fish right in, but I'm excited to meet my next betta when it is time. :) Thanks so much for the comments. I know most of my friends (and definitely my family) think it's kind of silly to be sad about "just a fish" so it's nice to have found a place where other people understand.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #29 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he either jumped out and the cat got him or he died of something and the shrimp got him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #30 
MsChris

Unhappy I found him.

I finally found Crumpet. It just kept bothering me that I didn't know what happened. I had broken apart the rock formation from the tank but I had only broken it in half. I broke it into many small pieces and found his little body in there. I'm heartbroken. Now I feel like it's definitely my fault. I'm the one who put the rock formation in there. I put something in his environment that wasn't safe for him. It was made for aquariums and it truly didn't seem like something he could get stuck in but he was so young and so small and I guess he swam in and couldn't find his way out...or maybe he was sick and went in there to die. I guess I'm glad I know for sure where he went. I will never ever put something like that rock formation in a tank again. I'm so sad for him and I feel incredibly guilty. Anyway, so many people on this site have been so kind and supportive and I wanted to let you know what happened to him.