Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2007, 02:14 AM   #1 
takethesewingsandfly

betta in pitch black darkness..

So i have noticed that when i turn off the light so that the tank is in pitch black darkness, and i turn it back on after a while... My betta's pupils have shrunk A LOT and it seems like he cant really see anything for a while after i turn on the light, like he runs into things and stuff. Im talking like 10 mintues ( maybe more ). And just now that happened, and he was kinda floating at the top of the tank, and when i turned on the light he just started sinking down to the bottom and like just sat on the rocks and he kinda looked like he was dead, he wouldnt move after i tapped on the tank really loudly for a few seconds. It was freaking me out. But now he is fine. Does anyone else's betta do this??
takethesewingsandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:42 AM   #2 
Falina

Always put the room light on and leave it for a minute or 2 before putting the tank light on to allow him to adjust.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #3 
beetlebz

yeah, what julie said. The poor bugger is prolly freaking out too.. LIGHT!!!.... dark......... LIGHT!!!! dark.... hehe thats good advice she gave about the room lights.
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #4 
MattD

Don't tap on the glass. This doesn't help the fish in any way, and they don't understand that you're trying to get their attention.

It stresses them out when they're already in a state of duress.
MattD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #5 
Sushi

hm. It sounds prety normal. If you think about people get confused and move slowly like when it is a hot summer day and you go inside into a dark room right after it makes you trip out.
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote