Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #1 
GrayL

New Baby owner, I have questions.

Alright, so I am a newbie at fish. Earlier today, I bought a Baby Betta from PetsMart. I have it in a plastic cube thing, that is ment to be "showy". I don't own a heater, but our house is generally around 78-80 degrees, so would one be neccisary? The tank is half a gallon (I think). I would like to buy a 10 gallon or a 2.5. I have a filter, but it's ment for larger tanks so I do not think it would work with the 2.5. Should I get a heater? As of now, I'm feeding it "TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets". I want to make sure the Betta likes a happy life, but I don't want to break the bank. If there is any referance threads anyone reccomends, please point me to them. Thank you!
GrayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #2 
Tigress

I would get a heater. The only way to know whether or not you really need one is if you get an aquarium thermometer and monitor the temperature. The temperature needs to be 80F I believe, and STAY there. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the temp)

Betta babies are more sensitive to temperature changes. Things can happen that cause a temperature to drop. I would be on the safe side and get a heater to make sure that temperature stay as stable as possible.

I would upgrade if you can. A bigger tank is generally more stable in water quality and temperature. Plus a half gallon is pretty small for a betta, even a baby betta.

Beware of filters. Filters are known to suck up an Adult's fins in the filter in take. Plus they are generally too strong and push the bettas around. I would imagine a filter would be too much for your little one. I do recommend a filter though to keep the water quality as best as possible. Sponge filters are awesome for baby bettas.

I hope this helps :)
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 
Mo

Baby bettas require a bit different temperatures, foods, and water changes than adults. Usually you want to feed grindal worms, Walter worms, banana worms, vinegar eels, microwoms, and mosquito larvae. With 85+ degree temperature, and daily or every other day large water changes
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

As soon as you can, Upgrade your Tank. Get the Biggest Tank you can afford. If you want a Tank all to himself, start out Small. Maybe a 5 Gallon. After all, it's gonna grow. Get a Heater, like Tigress said. 80F-85F is Best. Don't use a Filter for Tanks below 5 Gallons. I use the Type of Pellets you have. You should get the Higher Protein Based ones. And sometimes, the Pellets are too big, so you might have to Crush them.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote