Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #1 
MissFutureVet

Unhappy Betta hasn't pooped in a week

I don't know what else to do. I did a routine water change and noticed that there was no poop in his gravel. I took him out of his 5 gal and now he is currently in 2 gallons of water with 2t/gal. I've fasted him for about 3 days, but he is still very bloated, and he doesn't seem to be getting any better. I fed him a flake today (and he still has a ravenous appetite) but his stomach got HUGE, just from one flake, and that has never happened before. I've tried flaring him for a little exercise, but he barely flares, and he used to flare at EVERYTHING. Is there anything else I could do to make him poop. All he does is mope around on his plants, he is becoming very lethargic.

And I've also noticed a white dot where the female ovipositer would be, however, im PRETTY sure its a male. I don't know if that is relative to his poop isue or if that is a completely different problem.
MissFutureVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #2 
jaela

You can try putting some epsom salt in his tank and see if that helps -- it kind of works as a fish laxative.

As for the egg spot -- sometimes males have them, it's just more uncommon. Is it possible it's always been there, or is it something that just showed up?
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #3 
Aus

Epsom salt for bloat.. take him off the AQ salt, it may be making him worse.

Was he bloated and lethargic before you put him in the salt, or just not visibly pooping? He may not have needed medication at all..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #4 
MissFutureVet

sorry guys, I was in such a rush that I guess I forgot to put that he is in epsom salt, not AQ salt. he is in 2gal of water with 2 teaspoons of epsom salt per gallon, and has been since Sunday

And the egg spot is something that just showed up. i first noticed it on Tuesday. and Im sure it hasnt been there his whole life or else I would have been noticed it because i check my fishes all over everyday.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #5 
lelei

Ok, and with that said, what is the normal range for a fish to poop? 1x a week, or 2x a week? if you only see 1 poop in the gravel, and clean the tank weekly, wouldn't yu see more..maybe not, Idk, always wondered what a normal poop cycle is for a fishy??
Anyone know this??
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #6 
MissFutureVet

When I clean the gravel, I usually see about 10 pieces of poop in a 5 gal, but thats because its all broken up and falling apart. I dont know how many "whole" pieces of poop their should be in a week....hmmm good question =)
Old 06-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #7 
Kenny G

If his scales are nice and flat and smooth, then you may have a constipated betta, and if so, you may want to vary his diet. I would try frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. Some people recommend feeding betta a cooked pea. There are many articles on the net regarding how to cook it.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #8 
MissFutureVet

His scales aren't flat and smooth, they are slightly raised around his stomach area
Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #9 
iElBeau

In your case, I wouldn't feed him a pea until after his bloat is gone away, to help prevent it from happening again. I'll edit this when I'm home with some pea feeding instructions :) I would just fast him for the time being though and keep doin what you're doin. Hope he gets better soon!
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #10 
Kenny G

In the case of a very mild raised scales it could be dropsy. Some bettas recover. Let's hope it's something else.

Keep us updated please.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote