Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #11 
Tazo

Hm... when you say slithers, do you mean that he like... closes his fins and moves by wiggling his body? Because Indy does that sometimes, and he's super healthy. He was doing it more often when the filter was still in his tank, though, I think because of the current.
But... yeah... that's the closest to "slithering" I've seen, and he does do that sometimes... I just put it down as part of his behavior, though, since I have seen absolutely no signs of illness with him.
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

Hey, not going to ask how he doing since i am superstitious. I hope he is doing good and eating.
I was thinking not sure if it necessary though. When you do his water change i would take everything out of his tank wash it with hot hot water and put it outside to dry out for a few days in a sun. Or if you can't put outside you can do it inside . Sun will kill any bacteria on it. Then wash it again and put it back.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #13 
lelei

I think if possible, you can post a video, because I see our Sammy do that all the time, trying to get thru his plants, to get to the top for the surface, he wiggles like a worm, but it is part of his swimming, so I never saw it as something bad, so just wondering if that would be the way he is trying to get thru something, or if there is something really wrong, u certainly don't want to use something to treat him for that he doesn't have..but in case there is..it is the best way to treat him..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #14 
AngesRadieux

There weren't any plants for him to weave through, though. :/ I can't get a video because lately' he's been too busy hiding behind his heater... Last night he seemed fine. He was eating and he didn't look washed out or anything. But this morning when I went to feed him he didn't seem interested in his food.

I'm a little worried because so far every betta I've seen lose interest in food has died under 24 hours later. I just changed his water and I'm keeping up with the aquarium salt treatment. He's pretty stressed, but I think most of the stress is coming from being in his cup. I'm going to try giving him either frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp to see if that's more enticing than pellets. Probably brine shrimp... I only feed the blood worms as an absolute last resort to get a fish to eat because I'm a little allergic to them and if I'm not careful to scrub my hands extremely well after touching them my eyes will blow up and I'll get hives and stuff.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #15 
ANHEL123

If he stopped eating it not good sigh. If you have him in the cup don't put him back in the tank. I would disinfect the tank and everything in the tank. Keep him in the cup and continue salt.
Don't worry that he is stressed because he is in the cup.
I have a question to you . Did you put him in the tank where you ever had other sick fish? I know that Brahms was in the other tank, but did you have fish before them?
Also are you able to buy medications? If he getting worse and salt not helping him i would use antibacterial medications. Or if you not able to buy medications give us update may be it better to increase dosage of of the salt up to 3 tsp/gall. Stopped eating and hiding really not good...

Don't use blood worms if you have allergy. I would think if he refusing any other food he would not eat them any way. If you really want you can try cooked shrimp. All bettas love it (size of the pellet).

If you able to buy medications i would try Tetracycline API or Maracyn and Maracyn 2 combination.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

I am just trying to understand what wrong. I was thinking if you ever had sick fish in the same tank and didn't disinfect the tank then it can be an answer.
And especially if you are using the same gravel or ornaments or etc..
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #17 
AngesRadieux

I have him cupped now. I can't keep an eye on him during the night and he's acting so off I was afraid something would happen and he wouldn't be able to get to the surface for air. If he's still alive tomorrow I'll be able to get to a pet store to see what medication they have.

I did have a sick fish in that tank, but after I cleaned the tank in hot water and let it sit for several days so it was completely dry before getting Mozart. And I hadn't ever had a sick fish in the same tank as Brahms, who died of some unknown cause. He just stopped eating one night and the next morning he was dead. Same with Lucius, actually, and I'd never had a sick fish in his tank, either. But Lucius had cloudy eyes in addition to not eating. Mozart's eyes aren't cloudy.

I offered him bloodworms and brine shrimp tonight. He didn't seem interested, but I'm hoping once he settles in his cup he will. He's feeling well enough to be agitated that he's in a cup, so maybe that's a good sign? I also took the heater out of Brahms' old tank and put it in Mozart's. I'm hoping with the two heaters going the temperature will raise a bit and maybe the warmer water will perk him up.

I think tomorrow if Mozart's still alive his tank is coming out of that room and Beethoven's will also. I can't think of any reason anyone might have sprayed anything in the room, but I figure I may as well entertain the idea that something in that room is contaminating the water.

I just don't understand. It's not ich, it's not columnaris, it's not velvet... He isn't bloated... He has warm, clean water that's treated with conditioner. I've been offering a variety of foods. I'm completely stumped.

If they have tetracyclin as well as marcyn and maracyn 2 combo, which should I get? Is one better than the other?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

I would buy the one that cost less. Both of that medications are good.
The temperature is fine. Don't make dramatic changes. I don't think it will help.
Did you ever check you water? I never do it because i never had any problem ,but i know some people go the the store and they do it for you for free. Tomorrow i hope he is alive , when you go to check medications give them to check your water.

I can't think what it can be. But i am admire you for trying so hard.

Usually to disinfect the tank you need to do more then just hot water. Just hot water not going to kill bacteria .
How about gravel and everything in the tank did you use anything from the sick fish. Usually you need to disinfect not only tank and everything else. So if you use anything from the tank after first fish died it also can be the reason,especially gravel, ornaments etc....

Please give me update. I am really sad ....i wish he can survive. The only thing if he got worse for the past 2 days make me kind of think he might not.
And like you wrote that he don't have all that symptoms that you described above i would think that it some kind of bacteria. Don't put him back in the tank don't use anything from the tank or other tank. Keep him cupped

Good luck, i ll wait for update.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #19 
AngesRadieux

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Mozart did, in fact, make it through the night. I was a little reluctant to look because I was almost positive he wouldn't. His colors are still dull and washed out, but he was hovering at the top of his cup instead of laying on the bottom, which was encouraging, and it looked like he may have eaten a couple bloodworms. I have an extra fish bowl lying around somewhere.

I'll go to petsmart today and see if I can get medication for him. I have an old 2.5 gallon bowl that I'll probably use to dose him with medication, since his cup is too small to dose accurately and I don't want to risk using water from his tank. I may also pick up something for parasites just to have on hand, depending on how much the antibacterial medicine costs. If it's expensive, any extra meds I want to have on hand might have to wait a couple weeks until I get paid.

I guess once I get him set up with his medication I'll also disinfect my tanks. I'm a little nervous about using bleach. Is there something else I can use?

I've gotten my water tested before at Petco. They told me that they couldn't see anything wrong with my water that would cause fish to die. Then an irritating employee carried on about how it was because the water conditioner and aq salt were just too many chemicals and the fish couldn't handle it. Oh, and I was also killing my fish by giving them a heater because they don't like warm water and I should only be using distilled water in my tanks. -.- But, other than all that silliness, they didn't see anything in my water that would cause fish to die.

But, I'm really glad he survived the night so I can get tertracyclin and see if that helps him. It's just so discouraging. For the first two days in aq salt, he seemed to be perking up. His color was starting to really show again and he was eating. And then yesterday morning all of a sudden he just stopped eating. :/
Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #20 
lvandert

is it possible he was swimming like this boy (about 30 seconds in)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC7N-oDpswY
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote