Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #21 
AngesRadieux

Kind of, but he was on the very bottom of the tank, touching the gravel. He's not doing it anymore, though. Now he's pale and not really eating. :/ It could be that the odd movement wasn't a symptom of anything wrong, but I'm kind of grasping at straws and looking for some sort of indicator as to why he would be pale and uninterested in food. :/
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #22 
ANHEL123

i am glad he survived.

I can't believe that Petco recommended to use distilled water.

But i am concerned if he getting worse with aq salt. If we miss diagnosed him. If he is not worse continue aq salt though.
Why you think he has internal parasites? Did you see his poop? What color and shape it it? Is it white,clear stringy,wormy like?

Yes don't use anything from his tank.

Let us know if there is any other symptoms.

Will wait for update. Good luck.

We post at the same time i didn't read what you wrote...
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #23 
lvandert

maybe he has an external parasite you can't see. or an internal blockage although it sounds like you've treated him for that. That movement outside of breeding, against gravel, would lead me to believe its something on his scales/skin. You can keep up the aq salt treatments for up to 10 days. With my girl Velvet, she came in super itchy and rubbed on everything, I treated her with aq salt, extra stress coat and IAL. In about a week she was all good to go. I would try a bit of extra stress coat (doseage on the back of bottle for "repairing damaged fins and skin") with the aq salt for the next 4 or 5 days (I think that should be the marking point for treating for a week, can't quite remember when you said you started treatments) If there is no improvement after a week then thats not your problem. If he gets bloated in any way shape or form try daphnia or epsom salt. Don't do the cooked pea method. Is he still just hiding?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #24 
ANHEL123

If it external parasites aquarium salt will help. Just don’t understand why he is getting worse though. I am at work I couldn’t see the video. But if he was trying to rub his body then it can be external parasites. But a lot of the time it would be symptoms on his skin. Well may be not all the time since he already treated with aq salt.

I am agree with extra stress coat since I read that with extra stress coat they would have extra slime coat which will help to parasite to fall. But be careful don’t overdose.

Now if it external parasite the warmer the temperature the better it is. Usually recommended temperature is up to 85-86*. Temp over 86* and the parasites will stop reproducing and some even say it will kill them.

I though you was thinking that he has internal parasites which would give him bloating and white,clear, wormy poop. With internal parasites it difficult to get rid of them especially if you don’t treat on time, so I hope it not it.

Also I want to write something else if you can stay on line longer…??? I am at work..
Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #25 
lvandert

the video was just for comparison purposes, it was of two bettas breeding and the male doing the wiggle dance. It wasn't one AngesRadieux took.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #26 
ANHEL123

So i was thinking if it indeed external parasites then i would disinfect 3 gall and put heater there so you can heat it up .

If it indeed external parasites it will die without host. So you can just really use 50% vinegar with water, wash it hot warm,cold water let it stay in the sun for 24 hrs and parasites will die. If you can do it today , you can use the tank tomorrow.

Keep him in aq salt for now and buy medication for external parasites in case you need to use them. I heard api and jungle medications are good. You always can return medications if you didn't open them.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #27 
ANHEL123

Sorry that i am writing like that i just write when i have a chance since i am at work..I understood that it not one of the AngesRadieux video but i though there is betta who behave the same way that Anges's fish did. I thought fish was trying to rub the body against the objects...
Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #28 
ANHEL123

Since we are not sure if it external parasites or just bacterial infection aquarium salt still help for both...
Just don't use anything from his tank unless you disinfect it.
But not sure what medication you need to use though.
You always can return them if you didn't open it.
Also not sure if you are using the same net for him that you was using for other fish. You can disinfect the net the same way that as the tank …
Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #29 
AngesRadieux

I bought the API tetracyclin... Now his fins have red tips. His dorsal has little red tips on the rays and the edges of his tail are rust colored. How should I dose the tetracyclin? The packets I got are for a 10 gallon aquarium and I don't have a spare 10 gallon container. I ended up not getting the stuff for parasites. There were too many brands and I had no clue which ones were actually effective.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #30 
ANHEL123

ok we can do it for a cup size or for 1 gall size.
I was thinking you can do it in one gall jug. You can pre mix it and use it a few times. Do you have one gall jug?