Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #1 
0zarrian

Ich? or not?

Iv only had my fish for 5 days and yesterday it looked like he had very little white dots on his scales... so i though it might have been normal or refection from his scales. but now there is more and all over his body, head and fins but they are really small and all i have seen of Ich in pictures is bigger than whats on Archer.
Im getting worried and hes my first fish and i dont want him to die so early.
Attached Images

0zarrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #2 
Aus

That sure looks like ich to me... I can see the little bumps standing up off his skin.

If it was my fish? I wouldn't mess about with salt/heat unless there was no chance of buying meds - I'd get him into medicated ich cure straight away, as it's just everywhere. I've only used Protozin, so I can't vouch for other ich-specific medications. But that stuff works brilliantly, in my experience with it.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #3 
0zarrian

alright i shall go to the pet shop and see what they have. thanks alot.
would it be an idea to do 100% water changes or should the meds look after that?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #4 
MistersMom

yesh do a water change, get that ich out of there for good hopefully.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #5 
0zarrian

i was talking to the guy at the pet shop and he said that i should try raising the temp slowly and putting in some aq. salt, i did that at 3pm and it is now 10.30 and there is maybe 1/3 of the ich that was on him compered to 7 hours ago so i will see how he is tomorrow and do a 100% water change.
thanks for the advise. got some "rapid white spot remedy" by aqua master apparently its pretty good.
if the temp and aq. salt doesnt work i will try the meds.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #6 
MistersMom

good luck
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #7 
Aus

Awesome. That fish store guy sounds alright, to me.

I'm glad the salt/heat is working, it's much less stressful for your fish. But if he starts moving his gills rapidly, might want to throw an airstone into the tank. Salt reduces oxygen, though it can help the fish breathe, too, if the parasites are in his gills. More air = better for fish, though.

It's essential to do 100% water changes per day and really rinse the tank if you can. Barebottom QT tank is much easier to rinse in hot, then cold water before refilling - flushes out all the cysts and swimming parasites that might otherwise hide in substrate.. if you haven't got a smaller hospital tank, just vacuum the substrate as thoroughly as you possibly can during each water change. Ich is great at coming back, especially if you cut treatment short when all the spots are gone - remember, those white cysts are just one part of its life cycle, and one missed cyst can hatch into thousands of teeny parasites.. hello, re-infection.

The goal is to speed the life cycle up and flush the parasites out before they can latch on again.

Some Stress Guard might be good to add, too, just a tiny bit, to help ward off infection (don't use it if you shift to medication though) and get his slime coat healthy again.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:43 AM   #8 
0zarrian

The ich has pretty much completely cleared up, cant see anything on him now which is good. I will continue the 100% water changes for the next few days to make sure i get the Ich out of the tank. :)
Old 06-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #9 
Aus

Keep up the salt treatment, too - just because the cysts are gone, doesn't mean there's not new swimmers stuck to his gills or skin.. 10 days' worth, then a few days, 4 or 5, break to see if they re-infect. If they do, use the meds.

Glad he's clearing up, though, poor guy must've been pretty itchy!