Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #11 
LittleWatty

I have silk plants and I have plastic plants. I have Petco plants and I have walmart plants. I have tried all the petco ones without success in avoiding Nitrites, the Walmart one I am not sure about.

I have the walmart plants because they were attached to a plastic log that I bought, but I didn't like them, so I ripped them off and took the glue off of the log. One of them pulled clean out, but might have glue residue that I can't see (this plant was in the tank last night, and there was a spike). Two others did't pull out so cleanly, and actually broke as I was trying to rip them out, so they don't have an glue on them anymore at all.

If I can zero out my nitrites again, I might try the other two plants that I know have no glue on them. If they don't cause any spikes, then I'll be greatful.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #12 
Pogthefish

Well to keep the betta occupied without the plants, try using a floating mirror for five minutes a day, try feeding live foods too, and rearrange decor alot.

As for the nitrites, try REAL plants? lol just a suggestion
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #13 
LittleWatty

I do have real plants, but most are in my cycling tank because there aren't enough nutrients in my occupied tank for them to survive long. Don't have live foods or a floating mirror (or any movable mirror for that matter XD) and won't be able to get any of this kind of stuff until my next payday.

I do get him to flare at an onion bulb, like I mentioned, and have him chase it around the tank. But, he catches it really quickly XD
Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #14 
Pogthefish

Then why do you want fake plants too?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #15 
LittleWatty

Because the two small java ferns I have in the 3 gallon don't provide my betta with enough entertainment/cover, so he glass surfs and gets lazy. Also, I don't have many live plants. I've got very few, and even if he were in the bigger tank with all of the live plants, there would be very little cover. I'm hoping to one day be able to replace all my fake plants with live ones, but with my stock as it is now, my betta is uncomfortable without the cover the fake ones provide, and the real ones don't.

Next paycheck I'm hoping to maybe pick up a few more live plants, but they too will have to go into the cycling tank, unless I find java moss or more java fern - which will go in the occupied 3 gallon, as its reputation makes it sound like it would thrive in there
Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #16 
Pogthefish

Well get plants with larger leaves then
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #17 
LittleWatty

I've tried. There's not really a lot of options for me right now. And I'll be trying again at my next paycheck.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #18 
lelei

I have fake/silk and plastic and real plants..lol..what a combo huh? well the real one is an Amazon sword..and Sammy loves the leaves on that one soo much..and he loves his red silk one as well..and the blue one that was in the link..that Lilwatty showed, and in his tank, it works..(not sure why)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #19 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
Then why do you want fake plants too?

The larger tank is her betta's permanent home. She does not want to do a fish in cycle so she is cycling the tank with pure ammonia and her plants.

The tank that has the fake plants, she does NOT want to cycle. Her betta is temporarily in that tank.

Make more sense? :)
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #20 
kfryman

Reason why your live plants would be dying is not enough/right light for them to grow, as in color temperature light, not diffused light.

I have never heard of a fake plant causing nitrite spikes, have you tested more than once in case it was a fluke?

I never have gotten why people put a betta in an uncycled smaller tank while they cycle a bigger tank for him/her. Why put a betta in a smaller tank with more risk to spikes then a bigger tank that will have less big spikes do to the water.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote