Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #21 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Reason why your live plants would be dying is not enough/right light for them to grow, as in color temperature light, not diffused light.

I have never heard of a fake plant causing nitrite spikes, have you tested more than once in case it was a fluke?

I never have gotten why people put a betta in an uncycled smaller tank while they cycle a bigger tank for him/her. Why put a betta in a smaller tank with more risk to spikes then a bigger tank that will have less big spikes do to the water.
you maybe onto something here....
I personally think OP can cycle her larger tank with her fish/plants. I don't think i've heard any adverse affects from plant AND fish cycles.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #22 
LittleWatty

Quote:
I have never heard of a fake plant causing nitrite spikes, have you tested more than once in case it was a fluke?
I've done multiple tests, and the only time I ever get a fast spike is if there are fake plants in the water too. I've done control tests in separate containers with individual plants, and tests in the tank with my fish. All of them tell me pretty much the same thing. My water does get nitrite after almost a week (for whatever reason), but it always hits faster with the fake plants.

Quote:
I never have gotten why people put a betta in an uncycled smaller tank while they cycle a bigger tank for him/her. Why put a betta in a smaller tank with more risk to spikes then a bigger tank that will have less big spikes do to the water.
Well, I thought it might be easier/faster to do a fishless cycle, while monitoring the 3 gallon tank. From reading up, it sounded like a fish-in cycle could be potentially very dangerous to my fish, and could take a lot longer for lack of high nitrogen levels. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but that's what I thought.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #23 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Do you know what brand the plants are? Is there any metal parts in them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #24 
LittleWatty

They're all just Petco brand (I have links in another post in this thread). There's no metal as far as I can tell
Old 06-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #25 
FishyFishy89

I'm still leery about the glue it has.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #26 
kfryman

It has me stumped, maybe the dyes or something used chemicals like nitrates or something. Now a days, you need to be very careful because almost everything is made in China and they don't have strict laws on things they make. Like using lead in children's toys. One reason why I like real plants over fake plants, of course you need to buy a new bulb for plants or have them get direct sunlight for like 6 hours.

Alright it is good you did controls and then variables then repeated the tests to make sure it was true.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #27 
LittleWatty

I know this thread is long dead, but I discovered something strange this morning. Let me start at the beginning.

Yesterday I stopped by petco and picked up two new boys, a 10 gallon kit, and another of the 3 gallon critter keepers (if anyone goes to Petco, its the fish pet keeper with the blue lid). I set up the 10 gallon to cycle, and put one of my boys in a glass fish bowl, and the other boy in the critter keeper for temp housing. This morning, the boy in the bowl (who wasn't looking great yesterday) has perked up considerably while the boy in the keeper (who was a flare monster yesterday) has dropped significantly in activity. So, I did a test of the water. The bowl, which has a few bulbs and a java fern, was clear across the board. The keeper with a java fern, two dwarf hairgrass, and a micro sword, however, had a spike in Nitrites. Just like my last 3 gallon keeper had. But there were NO plastic plants. In fact, nothing plastic except the heater, but the glass bowl had a heater as well.

It seems that the keeper is the main source of my problem with nitrites, but the plastic plants boosted it for whatever reason (considering I had a 5.0ppm spike in 24, where as this one was only .50ppm). I have asked as many people as I can think of, and no one knows what's going on. Not enough ammonia is developed in 24 hours for there to be spikes of this magnitude in a min-cycle. Especially since it took my big tank longer than 2 weeks to even BEGIN to cycle.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #28 
goldfishyman

Perhaps you need to put a bit of the scientific method into this.

Put your plants in a glass jar add water treat your water like you would normally.
one glass container with just water.

Test both at 0 hr and then later at 24hrs.

test your critter keeper the same way.

Do all of this without fish.

Report your results.

My thoughts on this.
Your water has ammonia or nitrites from the tap.
The leaves of your silk plants are some how have bacteria converting ammonia to nitrites but you don't have the bacteria to convert to nitrates yet.
The plastic pores in your critter keeper is probably impregnated with the bacteria to convert Ammonia to Nitrites but does not have the bacteria to convert Nitrites to Nitrate. The critter keeper had these bacteria and the bacteria colonized your silk plants.

I can only guess that this tank has been used many times previously and has had the bacteria for the first stage of conversion. But constant water changes has probably prevented the development of nitrite to nitrate bacteria.

After the first test you could take the critter keeper and silk plants and nuke them to kill off all bacteria by cleaning and washing with super hot water and a bit of bleach. Then soak them in water with chlorine remover.

Repeat the above tests with the sterilized tank and plants.
-
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #29 
LittleWatty

Already did that. All tests had varying results. Non treated, treated, treated+heater, treated+substrate, treated+fake plants all had nitrite readings within a couple days. Only one that didn't get a reading was treated+real plants, which makes sense. I have tested my tap, and got 0ppm for both Ammonia and Nitrite, with 20ppm Nitrate. I've had two keepers do this to me, both freshly purchased from Petco.

I don't have any bleach, and won't be going anywhere for a few days while I treat a sick fish (unrelated to nitrite problems). I'm not using any fake plants in any of my tanks at the moment, only live, and I still get readings. So its either something with a plugged in heater, or false readings. But this problem has been moved into a new thread, as I'm not focusing on where its coming from, but what I can do about it.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=108112
Old 07-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #30 
Sapphoira

I just posted about a strange nitrite and ammonia spike in my newly changed tanks, I am unable to test my tap water as i am out of test strips today.. but my only other change was adding the SAME silk Petco plants that you were using!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote