Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #1 
mahmoudgn

Loss of appetite + Pale colour

Hello 2 weeks ago I brought this male fish it was red after just 2 days it turned pale he hasn't eaten anything till now I offered him pellets,frozen dried worms,live blood worms and nothing he didn't even look at it...the way he acts is that he keeps surfacing all day building a bubble nest and sometimes he stands with his body as "S" shaped been adding anti-fungus medications and salt to the aquarium i do a full water change once weekly he lives in a 4 gallon tank with gravel and artificial plant no filtration nor a heater since room temperature is 82 F always..the most worrying is him not eating for 2 weeks now kinda freaky !! and here is a pic of him now

Any Ideas ??!
mahmoudgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #2 
Fabian

Try removing the gravel.
What kind of salt do you use as iodized salt can stress the fish and may kill it.
When you do water changes do you dechlorinate the water and is the water the same temperature as the old water.Try doing a 50% water change twice a week instead of 100% change.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #3 
Aus

Quote:
been adding anti-fungus medications and salt to the aquarium i do a full water change once weekly he lives in a 4 gallon tank
Did he have obvious signs of fungus? Fuzzy patches on his gills/skin? Mouth sores? Fin rot?

If not, stop treating him for it! Unnecessary meds = unnecessary stress on your fish - there may be nothing wrong with him at all, and it's the treatment making him sick.. and maybe ammonia on top.. in 4 gallons, unfiltered, he should be having at least 2 x water changes per week, one 50%, one 100%.

Fish often don't eat well for a week or more when new to a tank, especially if the water chemistry is way different to that in the store and they are not slowly acclimated.

If he is bubble nesting, that's a good sign. And bettas are air breathers, so coming up for breaths is perfectly normal. The 'S' shape is too, unless he's stuck in it 24/7.

Please fill out this form, to help members pinpoint the exact problem (if there is one, aside from over-medicating and poor water conditions):

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #4 
mahmoudgn

the reason i was adding anti fungus is that the petstore told me to do so
and i read that tablesalt (the one used in cooking) works fine still didnt know if its iodized or not but i didnt add it today....I dont dechlorinate the water and i dont add him immediatly to tank i leave him floating in a jar or so to adjust to temp gradually...i removed the gravel and everything in tank now..he is having a swollen belly atm :\ I knew its a sign of dropsy or might be another type so i did a full water change now waiting for any hopeful signs like to eat anything or turn back red again .__.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #5 
Nasha66

his fins look ragged with dark edges, possibly fin rot?
Nasha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #6 
sholee

Ahhh table salt is no good, especially if you don't know whether or not it's non-iodized... Use aquarium salt and you should condition your water before putting your betta in, chlorine and other minerals in your water is harmful to your betta if you don't condition it. And I agree with Aus that you shouldn't use the anti-fungal medicine if he's not exhibiting signs of a fungal infection. Honestly, pet store employees rarely know anything about fishes, dogs, cats, etc. Always do research before you trust what an employee says.
sholee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #7 
Fabian

Do your fish look like a pinecone?
Old 06-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #8 
mahmoudgn

he had fin rot but was already treated..now just a swollen belly no pinecone shape but i read its another symptom of dropsy and still not eating..also can i have more info about conditioning water ? and how to get the required materials for it ?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #9 
Fabian

Just buy some anti-chlorine and add it to the water accordingly.I suggest you feed your betta some daphnia,i heard it can cure dropsy.