Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #1 
Marvel170

Breathing hard with a swollen face

My girlfriend has a male betta and she has noticed that he's been acting strange since she's put in a new filter in his 3.5 gallon tank. I was over her house today and was looking at him and noticed that his face and throat were swollen and he was breathing rather hard and acting a little lethargic. what can she do for him to help him?

thanks in advance :)
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Do you think you can get a pic of him? A new filter might make him breathe harder because he is trying to swim against a current that is too powerful but it wouldn't make him swell. I wonder if there is something else at work here.

Remember, just because your tank has a filter doesn't mean you can skimp on the water changes. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #3 
Marvel170

I'm going to try and get a pic from my friend since it is her fish.. I thought it might've been the filter since this all started when she put it in his tank, she still does normal water changes. She went to Google and tried to look up what else it could be and people where just saying to kill the fish, and then others were saying that the swelling happens when he is ready to breed, I let him soak in some aquarium salt.. Now she just told me that he is breathing fast and hard and swimming slowly
Old 06-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #4 
Sakura8

:( Does she use water conditioner?

I'm sorry, it sounds like he may be on his way out, judging from your description of him. :( The best thing she can do is to turn off the filter for now so he doesn't have to deal with the current. If she has a small hospital tank or container, she could put him in that with 3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #5 
Marvel170

:( I thought so too, but I'm going to try and save him. She loves him so much, and Jericho loves her just as much..The filter is off and when I was over there I put in 3 tsps of AQ salt. One for each gallon in his tank, I'll try and get some epsom salt tomorrow and drop it off to her if he is still with us. I can give her one of my QTs since all she has is his cup he was in.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Okay. Good luck and I'll be rooting for him.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #7 
Marvel170

Thanks I'll try my hardest to save him :)