Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Sponge filter for spawn/growout

I'm thinking I should go up a size on the filter. If I spawn in a 10g I was thinking get the 20g filter, if I use the 20g, get the 40g filter.
Is this what you guys do?
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #2 
tpocicat

I use the filter that is the right size for the tank. The sponge is added.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

More than the size, the depth of the tank determines the effective strength of the filter. If the filter is too big---meaning too tall---you'll have to cut down the riser tube This weakens the flow.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #4 
jeffegg2

Cool

I have been buying these and they work well. I can remove the lift tube and yes it does not move as much water, but if I have a lower level then there is less water to filter....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-0-H-Sponge...item43a5903213

They seem to do the job... and the price is good.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

Thanks Jeff. I was looking into those shorter wider ones as opposed to the tall slender ones for when the water level is lower. I was also considering just having the tank full because I have it so heavily planted. If the spawn doesn't go well I can always drop the water level and try again. I figured that because I am using much larger short finned fish the deep water wouldn't matter. It would also mean that I don't have to disturb the fry by adding water to the tank during the first few weeks. If I start with a full tank I have room to siphon the bottom but not really have to add much water back. Does that make any sense or should I abandon that idea?
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #6 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
Thanks Jeff. I was looking into those shorter wider ones as opposed to the tall slender ones for when the water level is lower. I was also considering just having the tank full because I have it so heavily planted. If the spawn doesn't go well I can always drop the water level and try again. I figured that because I am using much larger short finned fish the deep water wouldn't matter. It would also mean that I don't have to disturb the fry by adding water to the tank during the first few weeks. If I start with a full tank I have room to siphon the bottom but not really have to add much water back. Does that make any sense or should I abandon that idea?
There are as many different ways to breed bettas as there are members on this list... It is really up to you how you do it.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I suggest not siphoning the tank floor during the first week. Just siphon out water and refill. At least wait until fry can avoid the suction (by 1 week giants should be big enough). Btw, the bigger the difference between water level and bucket, the stronger the suction.

Stronger short filters can work, specially in heavily planted tanks. I use bigger than advised water pumps for my bigger/longer tanks (40 and 50g) but my filters are above the tanks thus there's not much current.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #8 
GhostFeather

I use this kind,lot of surface area.
The ones I use only have the riser tube and an airstone instead of the tube like the one in the picture.
Very easy to trim the tube short to fit in 4" of water and still get good filtration.
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-ALE133...+sponge+filter
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote