Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Cold Water betta?

Alright, so I'm a tad bit confused. I know that bettas need warm water, that's understandable, but is it possible for a betta to acclimate to colder water?

I don't have aheater, so the water often gets cold at night, but warm during the day. Even changing the water sometimes seems weird if the water being changed is cold, and I'm adding in warm water.

Now, I just bought a water tester, and everything is perfect. The water is super soft, but that's because I have a water softner for my house. Buddha is RARELY ever sick. We had a ich scare a few months ago, and he was just sick this weekend (with something I'm not sure). But...it doesn't seem like the water is a bother to him...?

Can someone help me?
I know it's not safe, but I'm really confused.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #2 
Pogthefish

Get a heater, that is NOT healthy for them, but it is survivable. I'm serious.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 
Alcemistnv

Oh, I keep insisting that I get one, but my mom won't let me get one. No matter how much I tell her he needs one, she won't let me get one.

That's why I've been changing his tank every other day with warm water. The water does get cold, but I switch it out as soon as I possibly can
Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

Show her this. you can get an okay heater at petco for less than 10 dollars. what size is your tank anyway? good job with the betta care tho :) Trust me, it is mean to have a betta liek that with no heater.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #5 
cjconcepcion

they will live without a heater, but most likely not thrive. the only difference in the way they would act would be the fact that they would be more lethargic in colder water. they are the most comfortable in warm water as this is how it is in their natural habitat. also, having the water headed greatly reduces the risk of stress and disease.

personally, i have a heater because i dont want my babies to be cold :) i dont like swimming in cold water, so why would they? :p
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

He's currently in a 2 gallon bowl :)

And she won't even go into Petsmart with me. That's how "against it" she is. I'm getting another tank before I go back to college in August, so I'm hoping I have a heater by then. I'll try as hard as possible. But if she disagrees, there isn't much to do. Especially since she's the one who drives me T-T

She's one of those "it's just a fish" people.

And I'm really hoping that he can manage a little bit longer. :(
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #7 
Twilight Storm

You should probably change the water with the same temperature water he is coming out of, or at least acclimate him each water change by floating the container in his fresh changed bowl until the water in the cup is the same temp as the fresh water he's going into.

I'm pretty sure the water should be within 2 degrees or so of the original water. If i'm wrong about that I hope someone corrects me. I forgot the temp range that might shock them if the water temp is a lot different.

If you are not using a thermometer to check the water temp during water changes just keep in mind (to me) 80 degree water feels slightly cooler to the touch. If the water is warm to the touch its above your body temperature. 98-ish+ (hot!!!!)

If the temperature swings that much where he is at and you can't move him to a pretty climate controlled, always warm, room. You probably should get a heater. If he's in a tank under 5 gallons they make fairly inexpensive marina heaters I love for small aquariums. They are not adjustable, but they keep the water at 78 degrees if the water tries to drop below that. I think they are around $12. Other companies make some too around the same price. They only kick on if your water temp falls below the pre-set safe zone in the heater.

76-82(-ish) is about the general range of temp people will suggest. 80 is ideal. (so you may want to invest in a nicer adjustable heater and spend a tiny bit more, but have a better product in the long run.

I'm not going to ram a heater down your throat and force you to use one, but if the water really is getting that cold and you're concerned due to air conditioning and night time temps you probably should.

hope this helps

Edited to add that there were no posts here when I started writing this lol... I type so slow. sorry if info was repeated.

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 06-15-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

Have a friend take you or bike? have ur dad? Heaters for a 2 gal bowl are relatively cheap.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Storm View Post
If you are not using a thermometer to check the water temp during water changes just keep in mind (to me) 80 degree water feels slightly cooler to the touch. If the water is warm to the touch its above your body temperature. 98-ish+ (hot!!!!)

I didn't know that...okay, I wish I had a thermometer now to use, because now I could be makin a fool of myself when the water isn't even that cold. Because when I put water in, I usually have it warm to the touch, meaning that it could be warmer than I think at night.

UGHHHH the only thermometer I have is the one for humans...
Is there a way to improvise, somehow? T-T

And I think that I might order the heater online because my Petsmart doesn't sell small enough heaters. They're mainly for bigger ones. Just have to find the right one for him...
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #10 
Aus

It sucks that you're not allowed to have a heater, it's pretty essential. Maybe if you offer to do some extra chores around the house, you could earn the cost of one? A cheap heater is maybe $15. Wash the car, mow the lawn, do dishes, whatever .. tell her you love your pet and are willing to work to get him the essentials so he will live a long life and be healthy. You could also offer to do some yardwork for a neighbour for some cash (I used to weed old ladies' gardens for pocket money as a kid/teen).

Oops, replies came in while I typed, too, lol - if you can order one online, try to keep him as stable as you can until it arrives.. sudden temp swings can bother them a lot..

Last edited by Aus; 06-15-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote