Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #1 
Shirleythebetta

How do I get my dog....

Hey, My beagle-bassett Emma is too skinny. She is kind of stubborn. I think the people who owned her before me gave her table scrapes and that is a no no in my house. We use old roy and have used it without an issue with all of our dogs. I am aware that people have their preferences with dog food and you are welcome to voice yours but my personal choice is that brand. Remember that all brands have their horror stories. Anyways, is their any tricks to get a hound to gain weight? She has no health problems but she is craving human food and I will not give in to table scrapes. The food I eat isn't even healthy for me She isn't skin and bones she weighs about 35-40ish but I would like to see her get a little bit of healthy bulk like a basset if it is all possible. Maybe she just takes after her beagle side? Shes the girl in my avatar. Please feel free to voice if you think she is too skinny or not. Attached is a close up body shot of her. If you need any others I can provide.
Attached Images

Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #2 
sparkyjoe

Well, she looks in good weight to me, but I would have to get hands on her to know for sure. Have you done the hands on test for weight?

A couple more questions...

How old is she?
Is she spayed?

And finally, yeah, I personally wouldn't feed Ol' Roy if I was being tortured, but if your dogs are happy, healthy, and well cared for I can't object.

ETA: Here's a link to a page to help decide if your dog is at a good weight. http://www.k9station.com/articles/fat.htm

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by sparkyjoe; 06-16-2012 at 01:13 AM.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #3 
Shirleythebetta

She feels boney in the rear end to me. You can see it a little bit in the picture. I will check out that site. The other two are fine weight. Perfect even, I have a terrier that weighs about 12 pounds which is fine for his breed, he is a mix between a border terrier and a dachsund? Not really sure. The Aussie weighs about 50-60 pounds. He is the big fluffy bear in the picture.

She is 5 years old and she is spayed.Thanks Joe

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 06-16-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

From what that webpage says she is at a fit weight. Maybe I am just used to my sisters fat dogs? . My main issue is I never saw a dog with prominent hipbones before.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:00 AM   #5 
sparkyjoe

Ok, I know what that feels like, and I can relate. My boy was always underweight as a youngster, in fact one of his nicknames was "shelf butt." But, after he hit around 3 years old he was finally able to add weight. Sometimes they don't fill out until they reach maturity. Being spayed/neutered can also help them put on weight.

In his later years, and after the cancer diagnosis, he lost weight like mad and I had to add all sorts of supplements to keep any weight on him. Poor old pup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #6 
sparkyjoe

Just saw your last comment, and yeah, most folks overfeed their pets to the point that the poor things are way over their ideal weight. I always tried to keep my boy on the light side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

I wouldn't know what to do if my terrier mix was overweight and wasn't trying to eat me. Same with my Aussie/Collie mix. He is a big teddy and loves to lay his head on my shoulders to sleep but he also loves to chase the local kitties even though he wouldn't know what to do with one if he caught it. My Beagle/Basset is lovable and sweet. I just don't know how my sister can be okay with stuffing her babies full of crap. It's like she thinks "If I give them a treat they know I love them" The best way you show them you love them is to keep them at a healthy weight. What dog food do you prefer?

Attaching total cuteness for you to absorb.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

Please ignore my dirty and unswept bedroom. I swear it isn't that disgusting all the time. *BLUSHES*
Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #9 
sparkyjoe

Awwww, they're total sweeties! I really miss my boy. (Sob!) I am in serious puppy withdrawal.

I don't have a dog right now, I lost my boy late last year, so I'm not current on foods. The recent big recall was scary.

In general I prefer grain-free, and I will probably rotate protein sources with my next dog. I went through lots of feeds to find that right one for my boy who had a sensitive tummy. I think I fed Evo the longest but they had just been sold a short time when I had to take him off kibble because of the wound in his mouth from the melanoma.

I like Acana, or some of the other smaller, Canadian manufacturers.

The thing that I like is that the higher quality foods usually require leads to be fed, therefore less poo is produced.

I honestly think that my use of a "raw type" diet (Honest Kitchen) added several *quality* months to my boy's life. Super expensive, but worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #10 
sparkyjoe

Oh, and do not worry about the house. I've been sick with migraines for months and the last thing I want to do on my few good days is clean house! We're talking pig sty!
Posted via Mobile Device