Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #31 
Shirleythebetta

Never thought of allergies as being the cause of her weight. I am glad she looks okay to everyone though. I think I am used to overweight dogs. My sisters dogs are all fat. My moms dog is fat. I was getting a complex and anxiety because my sister kept saying she is too skinny. I am going to read some dog food labels this weekend and see if I can find something a little higher in protein. Heres my moms dogs just to illustrate my family's animal obesity issues. She isn't too bad in that pic but she put on about another 10-20 since then if you can picture it. My sisters elkhound is way fat for the breed. About 65 pounds, she should weigh about 40-50. She's a purebreed. Her beagle/dachsund is to fat too. Should weigh maybe 30 at most and weighs about 40. It's rediculous. I wish I had a life as good as her dogs. Being fed dog cookies with icing and huge cans of soft food on top of an endless amount of dried food everyday.
Attached Images

Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #32 
ClassicCharm

Your hound is the PERFECT WEIGHT. DON'T put more weight on her. Hounds are very inclined to being overweight and then have joint issues, especially the long-backed breeds (like the Basset in your pup). Having some extra cushion is not good for these dogs. She looks like she's athletic, which will convert food into muscle instead of fat. To feel if she's in good weight, you should still be able to feel her ribs through her sides when you run your hands along her sides. You should see the points of her hips and shoulders when she moves, but they should be rounded and not jutting out (like she appears to have in your profile pic).

I have to very strongly disagree with the poster who recommended feeding puppy food to your adult. This should only ever be done for a dog that is severely underweight, as puppy food is very high in calories as it is relied upon to support the energy required for growth and development, which is much higher than the energy required to sustain good health in an adult dog. Feeding puppy food to an adult hound will make her very overweight and very prone to health issues.

p.s. She's lovely :)
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #33 
Shirleythebetta

Okay thanks for the input. She is built exactly as you said she should be built. I can feel her ribs but only slightly if I barely put pressure. She doesn't have any jutting joints. Is it common for bassett's to get cysts like I have been hearing? I am curious she doesn't have any cysts.

What does everyone think about people who feel that to overfeed a dog is to love them? What would you say to a loved one who is doing this?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #34 
lvandert

we had to be blunt with my mom, so it was "Mom your making the dog fat, and unless you want it to die earlier than normal quit it!" But I don't think that will work out the same way...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #35 
Shirleythebetta

Yea my sister is stubborn. I am going to try to get a pic of her dogs this weekend and maybe if there is some critiquing from other people she will get it. She'll get mad but she will get over it.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #36 
LittleBettaFish

Ignore anyone who tells you your dog is skinny. Far too many people have become accepting of obesity in their pets. You see it all the time in vets and parks.

Our GS female weighs 27kgs. She is just pure muscle. Everyday she goes for a free-run or 1-2 hour walk as she has to be fit for shows. The amount of people that tell us she is too skinny is astounding. I think there is such a disconnect nowadays between what is a healthy weight for pets and people.

Your dog's weight looks fine to me. I personally like my dogs to be on the lean side. Obesity wreaks havoc on a dog's joints and it is so so important to keep the weight off older dogs especially.

Always go for a grain-free brand of food if you can. A lot of dogs are allergic to corn and I do not like to see it in any of my pet food. We are very limited in brands here in Australia (we feed Earthborn Holistics Primitive and Eaglepack Holistic), but the site http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com has tons of info and reviews. Plus it explains what to look for and what to avoid.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #37 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post

And finally, yeah, I personally wouldn't feed Ol' Roy if I was being tortured,
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #38 
Shirleythebetta

Yea I'm going to ignore it now. It all seems a little silly to pay attention to now that I have heard from you all. I prefer my dogs to be lean as I have seen a few dogs suffer with arthritis now that I think about it, they were obese.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 PM   #39 
ClassicCharm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Yea I'm going to ignore it now. It all seems a little silly to pay attention to now that I have heard from you all. I prefer my dogs to be lean as I have seen a few dogs suffer with arthritis now that I think about it, they were obese.
I work in a small animal clinic- honestly, it's so sad how many animals are afflicted with conditions because their owners over-feed them. Your dog is in perfect shape. Ignore people who tell you that she should have more fat on her. Keeping her in good weight makes you a responsible pet owner :)
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #40 
Shirleythebetta

Thanks *Smiles big* I love my babies and want them to be healthy.