Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #1 
fluffnstuff

Question New betta owner and would love some pointers

I bought a new two gallon tank with filter and a water pump, gravel, a heater, a fake plant till i can buy some real ones, a large jug of Ready-water from carib sea inc that came with some starter cultures of beneficial bacteria, I have a heater working to keep the water at about 82 degrees during the day and 80 at night. Can i really use a turkey baster to clean the gravel? Any information and filters would be welcomed.

Last edited by fluffnstuff; 06-16-2012 at 01:37 AM.
fluffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #2 
MistersMom

Turkey baster could work I'm sure, yes, and i would say 25 %twice a week and 100% once a week... but i don't really know... i use a gravel vacuum for my gravel , even in my small tanks, it works great... and it helps with my water changes, live plants are good, but in a tank as small as yours weather you have alot or not, won't effect how many water changes you have. Don't over feed either, because it will make your tank filthy (gravel especially) and add Ammonia... The turkey baster may be relatively difficult but i don't know, i haven't used one... and if the water came with it im sure that's fine, but after that, its cheaper to just condition your tap water, i use prime, it levels out ammonia and nitrates and nitrite and adds a slime coat, or so it says lol... but Welcome to the forum, and i hope all goes well with your fishy !! :3

Here is a link to a thread for a cheap siphon for your tank

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=104391

Last edited by MistersMom; 06-16-2012 at 01:44 AM.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #3 
fluffnstuff

Arrow

Thank you, i will go about making one as soon as possible. I think i will still get small plant any improvement I can give Fesq(Fluffnstuff esquire) will be great. Also can I put in here a small shrimp or a small snail? Not a mystery or apple sail, a smallish one that does not produce too much waste.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #4 
kfryman

Plants if in the correct numbers and correct conditions can make you go a coupleweeks or so without changing the water, though for now if your using a filter two 50% a week will be fine, no filter it will be 1 50% and 1 100% a week. Makes sure you stir the gravel a bit so you get the debris. I have found that smaller tanks it is easier to just use airline tubing as it drains the water semi slow so you can get more debris out of the tank, plus it works as well for just draining.

When changing the water, always use a designated bucket and don't use it for anything else, a 1 gallon bucket will work fine, after you drain the water, before dumping it, swish the filter around in the old tank water to remove debris, then put it back in the filter, dump the water, fill it, dechlorinate the water, and use like a plastic cup or something (again use it for only changing fish water no soaps nothing) to fill the tank back up. Before changing the water unplug the filter and heater if your heater will be exposed will changing the water.

Hold on tank mates for a while, they need stable water with no spikes. With that small of a tank I would hold off completely but if you really wanted to, a snail would be best, but that means buying more food and more waste being made.
Get a really good food like New Life Spectrum or Omega One, pellets are best to control feeding amounts. Get a good water conditioner like Prime, the smallest bottle will be great for you.

The lights shouldn't be on longer than 12 hours or you will probably get algae.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #5 
fluffnstuff

Thank you for the input. Okay i will hold up on the other animals. I also have a little leafe hammock that i bought that i placed close to the surface, will he just eventually start using it, or are those not really a good idea?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #6 
Enkil

The "Betta Hammock" has been known to rust. Been there. I use live anubias plants and leave them floating so the bettas can rest up on the leaves. I know that PetSmart has these.

You'll also want to give your betta a varied diet. Have his main food be pellts with treats of things such as love/frozen foods. Mine love mosquito larvae, blood worms, and daphnia.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 AM   #7 
fluffnstuff

Ill put that on my shoping list then.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:41 AM   #8 
kfryman

As Enkil said, they have been known to rust because there is a small metals wire to keep the leaf sturdy, take the metal out and just cut a purview of plastic or wood and attach it, not sure how to though lol. Also as said above, you can just get an Anubias not tied to a rock and allow it to floar
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #9 
Enkil

The great thing with the frozen foods is how long they last if you don't have to feed too many bettas. XD The frozen daphnia are nice to have on hand incase your betta gets constipated since they work as a kind of natural laxative.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #10 
fluffnstuff

That is good to know, fishy constipation sounds like it could lead to worse things.