Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 
dazegoneby

Help!

Help! I'm a total newbie at setting up tanks for Bettas! I had one many years ago that I had in a vase with a lily plant and it lived for years but I am having problems now.

I set up a 2 gallon tank for my kids and we picked out a Betta. I let the tank run for 24hrs and transferred the fish last night. This morning he looks sick. As I'm reading the boards here, it sounds like ammonia poisoning?

Is there any way to save him now? My girls are crushed (even though we've had long discussions about the fragility of fish).
dazegoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #2 
lvandert

Change the water 50% every other day with a 2 gallon. Get a heater, really it will help a ton. The ammonia poisoning could be from being in his tiny cup too long. It will take a lot of clean waters and warm water. If you have a filter on either turn it down to a trickle or turn it off completely. If you have ANY other fish in there remove/return or find a new home for it. A 2 gallon is WAY to small for multiple fish.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems.....

What is the water temp and how did you acclimate him to the new tank, how much and what kind of dechlorinator did you use.....and any other additives....

Right now-I would recommend that you turn off the filter and make a 50% water change using double dose dechlorinator in the like temp replacement water and if he is struggling to swim-lower the water level by half after the water change......

Make 25% daily water changes for a few days and see if this will perk him up....If not he may need a treatment......

Turn off the light and hold food for 24h and then-turn on the light and offer food after the next days 25% water change of like temp properly dosed dechlorinated water.

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #4 
dazegoneby

Ok, so I went out and bout a few more things.

The water temp is 80
The water ammonia is around 0.25
I turned the filter off (isn't that supposed to help the water and the fish?)
I changed the water around 50% and replaced it with the "Beta Water" from the store.

He is perking up a bit already! YAY!!! You guys rock! I just hate stressing this poor little guy out! And my girls will be soooo happy!

I'm open to any other suggestions to make his life happy and healthy!
dazegoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Great to hear......

IMO/E-filters are optional for this species-especially in smaller tanks with the long fin males.....Sometimes the water movement can cause fin damage and stress the long fin males...

Since this is a 2gal tank even with the filter you will need to make at least twice weekly water changes to maintain water quality.

While the filter can help to establish the nitrogen cycle in the 2gal-due to limited surface area the cycle isn't always stable.

My recommendation for water changes in 2gal tanks without a filter or live rooted plants-
Twice weekly....1-50% water only and 1-100% to maintain water quality.

In 2gal with a filter-twice weekly 50%....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method to maintain water quality....

I am not sure what "Betta water" is....but what I would recommend is using your tap water along with a dechlorinator.

This species adapt well to most tap water and due to the number of water changes that need to be done....it may be cheaper.....

Be sure and properly acclimate to the new source water by making small water changes daily over several days...about 25% using like temp dechlorinated tap water.....

Once he adjust to the new environment and source water...in about a week or so.....Give the filter a good cleaning and try it again if you want to use the filter.......He may tolerate it better once he has adjusted to all the new changes......

Look forward to some pics......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #6 
lvandert

yay! happy to hear it!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote