Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

Giant HMPK breeding pairs photos

I'm not entirely sure these guys will make full giant status but they are fairly close. We'll see.

These two are reddish/pink/purple/white butterfly 3.5 months old. Male is 2.25" female is a hair under 2" BO. I'm not sure that I'd call them salamander...what do you think? I was not able to choose them from photos. I had to pick them out by a quick video and talking to the seller. I find the male a bit short bodied and his ventrals to not create that "knife blade" shape. His butterfly pattern is very nice IMO. I like his dorsal-it snaps open like a fan. The female is just cute and submissive. Her anal is much shorter-that's good because I think his is a tad long and wide. I hope to find a more purple salamander(s) either for the female or the F1.

This next pair is my steel blue and turquoise pair. They are also 3.5 months. The female is 2 1/8"-she came to me with somewhat tattered fins-she was missing a chunk out of the top of the caudal and another out of the anal. They are growing back nicely. She is quite aggressive and gets fiesty to the point of splashing widly. The male is a hair under 2 1/4" BO. He has a slight spoon head. I am hoping to get decent royal blues to breed to coppers for metallic blues. Bonus if I can get the butterfly pattern in there somehow. That's kinda my thing I guess...LOVE that butterfly pattern!

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 06-16-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #2 
Junglist

They are awesome!
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

I just love both the girls. They are going to add so much color to the sorority tank when they are retired from breeding.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I like the BF male a lot. He's not short, just robust with an even body line. Looks like crisp round caudal and his anal is not too long. I really like that color. Very rare and pleasing. His female is very complimentary.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #5 
Timberland

Oooo me likey!
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #6 
Curlyfatbottom

Is it the total length of the fish or just the body
If it's just the body then u have a good chance of them going to be giant
But if it the total length of the fish
Then idk
When my giant where 3.5 month
They were very close to 3"
At 4 all of them where above 3"
Good luck on breeding them
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

The length is body only. I think they are a bit on the small side myself but I'll just keep shooting the feed to them and see what I get!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #8 
Curlyfatbottom

Yeah another thing I found out, the bigger the fish
The lazier the fish get
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Im not sure if this applies to all giants/kings. IME young and still growing giants should not have an adult body like your salamander. They should look a bit long (look at fry pictures - young 2 months old regular fry tend to have longer/slimmer body). I'm not saying he won't grow but experience showed that they won't grow that much (by "grow" I mean 2" or more).

Form: That's a pretty good form for giants (specially salamander). For some reason the better formed fry are the smaller ones. IBC wise, it needs improvements, but he is a good specimen to start with. They all have good ray branching so you'll have a good chance of at least creating traditional PK's.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote