Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #11 
BeckyFish97

Ok, sorry I forgot to say, he was and is also on micro/walter worms every other day at the moment, as I was conditioning him for breeding. SHOOT!I meant catfish food!!!I don't have a cat! oops sorry guys! How on earth did I arrive at catfood pellets?!I'm crazy!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #12 
BeckyFish97

Here are some pictures showing the damage.
The first picture is an example of gandalf before the damage to his fins. I just want him to be the old gandalf, happy, healthy!
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #13 
NarcissusBetta

I think he is biting his tail. Doesn't look like fin rot to me...which is a very good thing. Could be wrong though
NarcissusBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #14 
FishyFishy89

Ty for clearing the confusion up BeckyFish97
You defiantly have a tail biter on your hands. I believe he just may have been upset to not see you and stressed out. I'm sorry he destroyed his beautiful tail. Makes me sad.

There's nothing in the tank that would of caught his fins is there?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #15 
BeckyFish97

Nothing he could have caught his fins on, could he bite the middle of his anal fin? where there was no previous damage? because he has some random holes like that, will a table tennis ball do ok for some entertainment?also could living next door to another male affect him?might he know the male is there and get upset about it? I soaked a pellet in a cup full of aquarium water with 1 drop of fin rot treatment, to try and make his fins a little better, and he has since perked up a lot, also, would his fins get shrivelled at the bottom from tail biting?sorry I know this is a lot of questions I just want to make absolutely sure he is a tail biter and what I can do to help. Could a plant hurt him?a live one?because he has had 2 plants in his tank and both have fallen to pieces really quickly, like 2 days in, and they constantly have natural sunlight on them, could that cause any problems?again, sorry for all the questions, I want to be certain. Also I have heard that white is a "non-red" gene and gandalf has some red streaks on his anal fin, I've noticed the red streaks occur followed by the tail ripping where the streaks have been. Sorry I'm freaking out a bit, I hate to see him in pain! he likes to sit next to the bit where the filter intake is, and can swim perfectly away from it, he has no trouble staying away from it, but seems to like the feeling of it, could that be a problem?it is a very slow moving filter.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #16 
BeckyFish97

Sorry I forgot, do bettas like routine?This is going to sound a bit pathetic but I have a sort of daily routine for him, you see he enjoys music (I know it sounds crazy) so when I get up in the morning I sing to him before I do anything else, then he gets his morning pellet, on his hammock as he likes it (if it doesn't land on the hammock he picks it up himself and uses the hammock as a plate) in the afternoon around 2ish I go to see him, and he swims up and flares, I usually let him flare at pineapple (his neighbour) for 1-2 minutes, more for pineapples benefit than gandalfs, and I have stopped doing that since the fin rot/tail biting, to try and let him recover, then at around 5 I go to see him again (I spend about an hour with him at 2) and let him chase my finger for 15 minutes, he gets his pellet at 8 every night, again on his leaf hammock, before saying goodnight and switching his light off. Obviously my friend couldn't be there with him the whole time while I was away, could it be the disruption of his routine?Also, I forgot to mention before, he suffered from some sort of "pH burns" a week before I went away, there was quite a rapid change from that of the water he came in (6.0-7.5) could it just be him still recovering from that?

Thank you everyone for all your help, I know I haven't been the easiest of people!especially with my catfood :P what was I thinking? I don't have a cat-will never let that one go :P
Old 06-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #17 
FishyFishy89

Not having the routine might of made him upset.
I have a routine for all my animals and if the person watching them doesn't do the routine all will go to h3ll.
I don't think the male next door would drive him to nip at his fins. Bettas can reach just about every inch of their fins. So any holes are more than likely created by him or something in his tank.
Does he have filter? His tail could possibly get caught in the intake tube.
I'm not sure about the tennis ball. The smell they have makes me think something is on them that maybe harmful to fish.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #18 
BeckyFish97

Sorry I meant ping pong ball the little plastic ones.
His filter intake is a series of stretched holes about 2 cm long and 1mm wide, he likes to sit there sometimes, I made sure it was by choice before allowing him to do it, he can swim perfectly away from it without struggling so I guess thats not pulling him in, but would the pulling of it tear his fins?the flow is so slow I don't think it is that, but could it be?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #19 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFish97 View Post
Sorry I meant ping pong ball the little plastic ones.
His filter intake is a series of stretched holes about 2 cm long and 1mm wide, he likes to sit there sometimes, I made sure it was by choice before allowing him to do it, he can swim perfectly away from it without struggling so I guess thats not pulling him in, but would the pulling of it tear his fins?the flow is so slow I don't think it is that, but could it be?
A ping pong ball may work
do you ever see him having SOME effort to get out?
whats slow to us may not be so slow to them.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #20 
Tikibirds

I'm gonna say he is tail bitting too. I got 3 tail bitters. One HM, and 2 VT's. The 2 VT's started bitting when I put them into a 10 gallon tank and the could see their reflection with the light on. They fin starts to grow back and they bite it off again >.< I removed them but they still bite.

This is one of them - Baron von Fishie Fins.

Keep an eye on it in case fin rot does develop. Using double the recommended dose of stress coat can help the fins grow back IF he stops bitting
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote