Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #1 
Tracey

Smile A story of fishy friendship...

In my quest to find Romeo a tank mate that would not only add interest to his solitary life, but also act as a live-in "housekeeper", I tried a few ghost shrimp, but it quickly became apparent that that was a bad idea... Because I have no stomach for bloodshed, I had to go in for the quick rescue before a massacre ensued.

Desperate for something to clean up Romeo's table droppings that I could not thoroughly clean up (he takes "picky" to a whole new level, but that is another story... suffice it to say, he's training me well). I went and picked up a little albino cory. I have a spotted cory in my community tank and he's really cool, but of course I wanted a little variety in my little fish world, so I thought I would try one of these. I have to say, I think he/she/it is a little creepy looking, but they kind of match each other in body color, so I went along with it.

Well, they have apparently become BFF's. I don't know if it's because, clearly, the albino is totally and completely blind, and therefore non-threatening, or if he just feels sorry for the little guy and has taken him "under his fin", but they rest side by side for hours (yes, I can stare that long). Romeo also seems to feel compelled to go check on him periodically. The cory (I'm still waiting for the right name to claim him) often sleeps listing to one side, and I fear he's dead half the time, but Romeo will go give him a little bump, and off he wiggles.

It's just an interesting relationship between the two, and I am happy it worked out so well, as I can't afford therapy for either one of them. I just thought this might be an option for other people looking for a productive, compatible tank mate for their Betta as well. I am a beginner at being a fish mom, but I am enjoying taking care of my fishies in my two smaller tanks (4g and 6g). I'm looking forward to moving up to larger tanks as soon as the budget allows. But until then, everyone seems happy and healthy, and there is peace among the ranks.

P.S. Just to satisfy the fish police and/or "worriers", the critters are healthy (I mean, other than one needing a "seeing-eye fish") - Not a blemish on them - Water tests every week are excellent - Partial water changes twice a week - A variety of high quality frozen foods are fed (along with appropriate floating and sinking food for everyone, of course) - Several healthy live plants, and places for the critters to hang out in their own space, Etc... (all ditto for the second tank... knock on wood!)

Happy to be here and to read everyone's interesting and informative postings!
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #2 
djembekah

i'm glad its working out well. but be warned- corydoras need to be in schools- like 5+- to be truly happy. and no one will recommend having any fish in something under 10 gallons, except a betta, because the fish small enough to go with them need schools, Most fish need a big tank footprint too, so they aren't all cramped up. its good the parameters are excellent, and that you're feeding a variety of foods, but just know that you'll probably get told all this every time you talk about your tank.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 
Tracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
i'm glad its working out well. but be warned- corydoras need to be in schools- like 5+- to be truly happy. and no one will recommend having any fish in something under 10 gallons, except a betta, because the fish small enough to go with them need schools, Most fish need a big tank footprint too, so they aren't all cramped up. its good the parameters are excellent, and that you're feeding a variety of foods, but just know that you'll probably get told all this every time you talk about your tank.
Yeah, I figured that would happen. Won't mention it again. Seems like people that have anything less than 25 gallon setups are seen as bad fish parents. It's kind of disheartening, as I think, for the most part, we are all doing the best we can with what we have and what we can afford. We love our fish just as much as the next guy, and do our very best to provide them with a "happy", healthy environment. And for those of us that are new to this and "have what we have", being made to feel we are practically abusing our fish doesn't do a lot as far as promoting fish keeping as a fun and interesting hobby, and may actually prevent an open dialog in regards to discussing and learning, when, after posting questions, comments and stories, one immediately must brace oneself against the onslaught of others putting a buzz kill on one's fish tank happiness.

I am certainly not against people giving their expert advice. Quite the contrary! Beginners need the advice of the more experienced I am only saying that care should always be taken in the delivery of the constructive criticism, so that people don't become afraid to tell the entire truth of their situations, lest they end up feeling "lesser than" for not having the larger, more expensive setups.

But truly, thanks so much for taking the time to respond, and rest assured that I will provide a more ideal living arrangement as soon as is financially possible. Until then, I will continue to do my very best to keep them happy and healthy as I possibly can! ))
Old 06-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #4 
Tracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
Yeah, I figured that would happen. Won't mention it again. Seems like people that have anything less than 25 gallon setups are seen as bad fish parents. It's kind of disheartening, as I think, for the most part, we are all doing the best we can with what we have and what we can afford. We love our fish just as much as the next guy, and do our very best to provide them with a "happy", healthy environment. And for those of us that are new to this and "have what we have", being made to feel we are practically abusing our fish doesn't do a lot as far as promoting fish keeping as a fun and interesting hobby, and may actually prevent an open dialog in regards to discussing and learning, when, after posting questions, comments and stories, one immediately must brace oneself against the onslaught of others putting a buzz kill on one's fish tank happiness.

I am certainly not against people giving their expert advice. Quite the contrary! Beginners need the advice of the more experienced I am only saying that care should always be taken in the delivery of the constructive criticism, so that people don't become afraid to tell the entire truth of their situations, lest they end up feeling "lesser than" for not having the larger, more expensive setups.

But truly, thanks so much for taking the time to respond, and rest assured that I will provide a more ideal living arrangement as soon as is financially possible. Until then, I will continue to do my very best to keep them happy and healthy as I possibly can! ))
P.S. "Swish" is really pretty... Or "handsome" I should say!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't think Bekah was trying to dampen your fish keeping joy. :) I've seen a lot more harsh critisizing than hers on here. It's good that you'll look into upgrading when you can, your fishkeeping will be much more rewarded when you get to see a school of cories chasing and cuddling each other. :)
You should consider getting your Cory some friends in your community tank, I'm sure there's room there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #6 
djembekah

thank you Tracey! i love him. is Romeo your incredible double tail? i really want one of those :3

i am glad to hear you are going to upgrade when you can! definitely look at things like craigslist, or like my county, you might have a buy/sell/trade facebook page. i got my 29 gallon for $5 bucks. and two ten also for $5 each. it was a steal, i would not have my community if it weren't for that.

and i have to say, the cory cuddling is even cuter than the bettas befriending them. i love my cories.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #7 
xShainax

Omg i have a betta named romeo :d
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #8 
Tracey

Yes, the picture is Romeo. From what I've read, the color on their fins is supposed to be a solid color, but I bought him because I thought his fin coloring was beautimus! I wish I could get a good photo that really showed the true coloring... It looks kind of like a watercolor painting with acid washed blue jean hues with a pinkish background that matches his body color.

There are so many beautiful varieties and colorings, that it's hard to choose! I can see how people end up with rooms full of Bettas! When I was at the pet store, there was probably 50 or more to choose from, and I felt a burden of pressure/responsibility of whose life I was going to save... My heart was feeling squeezed - you would have thought I was having to choose who I was going to save from a burning building or something, lol!!

A question regarding buying used tanks though: How do you know that the tank is really "clean", or hasn't had some chemical or god knows what in it prior to purchasing it? I would just die if I killed the swishies by putting them into a previously used "home" that had some kind of cootie in it. I'm so paranoid that it just seems safer to save and buy a new one. It seems like getting the best lights, filters, etc. is what costs the most anyway. I used to have a couple hundred gallon salt water tank years ago with the invertebrates and everything, which proper "everything" is critical. And I quickly learned to "buy nice or buy twice"! And to be honest, I would have started bigger with the fresh water tanks, but I just thought I wanted a small tank to help relieve my stress, lol, but I should have known myself better! So now I'm saving to "buy twice" and get a much larger tank, probably in the 100-150 gallon range. Until then, I consider it to be a fun journey and it gives me and the swishies something to look forward to.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #9 
xShainax

Use some vinegar to swish around the tank. :)
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #10 
djembekah

yeah i rinsed my used tanks really well with a hose, and then washed them a few times with vinegar solutions. my 29 gallon has been running since March, and the only casualties were a few zebra danios during cycling. if you were really concerned, you can tear out the old sealant and re seal it.
but yeah, buying a new tank works too!