Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #1 
tens00

Do moss balls carry disease?

I wasn't quite sure where to put this. So, in my efforts to save one of our bettas, I bought a moss ball. Anyway, he has since passed and I don't know what to do with the moss ball. I am hesitant to put it in with my other betta and cause any issues. Or, should I just keep the moss ball alone on its own? Sounds odd but.....then do I change the water?

Thanks for answering this crazy question!
tens00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #2 
jaela

Is this is a live moss ball, or one of those synthetic ones they sell at petstores, with the plastic centre?
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #3 
tens00

It is live which is why I won't just toss it. :)
tens00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #4 
deso

It's possible that the moss ball can carry on parasites/disease. Quarantine the thing in a container of tap water for one or two weeks just to be sure.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #5 
Shadyr

I think in some places they are kept alone in tanks just like a pet. Many people name theirs No, Chicory's mossball is totally NOT named Beignet. He loves to take catnaps on it.

I'd do the quarantine as suggested and then let your other bettas play with it!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #6 
Kenny G

Moss balls are notorious disease-spreaders because they are known for harboring hitchhikers. I have also heard that they need a very high light or else their core tend to go bad. I say be safe and quarantine it for a few weeks.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I was wanting to get a moss ball now I am not so sure...is there anyway to kill what might be on them and how does QT them help ? Thanks for any advice !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #8 
ZackyBear

I know Marimo Moss balls may carry something, but quarantining and constant tap-water washes will help kill off any nasties. Since tapwater is chlorinated~

People in Japan keep them as pets since they are rumored to bring good luck and health. They don't require a lot of light, but need to be turned every week or so to prevent their bottoms from turning brown. :3 I like squeezing mine lightly while washing it! Stress relief for the win....(I call it Sir Fluffy-maddy-kins the first)

Though don't squeeze it too hard, just a gentle squeeze will work~ You can roll them in your hand while you wash, which is also fun.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

tap water contains chlorine, which if I am not mistaken MOST (if not all) parasites and diseases will die. Quarantine ensures this...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #10 
Kenny G

@ Perseusmom,

People have recommended that they be washed in a salt solution first. Don't use bleach. (yes I have read that someone have recommeded BLEACH). Rinse it in dechlorinated water and let it soak in a tank or bowl for a few days before adding it to the tank with fish.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote