Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #1 
MadameDesu

Exclamation My Tap Water is Lethal for Fish and Possibly for Humans(Semi-Emergency!!!)

Hello all,

So I just moved back to college (yay!) and set up Rosie's tank two days ago (yay!) and tested the tap water to make sure it was safe (not yay. More like DEAR SWEET GOD WHY.)

So here are the readings for my oh so safe tapwater:

pH: 7.4 (OK)
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm (!)
Nitrite: 5 ppm (No, not .5, 5, five, FIVE!!!!!)
Nitrate: 30 ppm (!!)

So, my tap water has about 5 times as much nitrite as the EPA currently allows and is close to the limit for nitrate.

Rosie is doing fine, swimming, exploring, hanging out, eating like usual. I'm just worried about her health in the long run.

I'm at a total loss as to what I can do, but here's what I'll try:

1) Test different water sources around campus
2) Get a water conditioner that will help (recommendations?)
3) Use a different water source (recommendations?)
4) Pray

I'll be going to my LFS tonight for more food for her, so if there's any products you'd recommend I can look for them there. If not, there's always Amazon and eBay.

Please help me help my special little girl!
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Oh dear, I know exactly how you feel! I just came back to campus I found out the ammonia was high too!

I simply use a water conditioner to help with the water. I use API water condditioner for the tank. It's been almost 2 weeks and my fish are looking good. Just keep a constant watch on the parameters before water changes. I do mine twice a week, so I see how high the ammonia is before the change to see i I need to do it often.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #3 
MadameDesu

I don't think my water conditioner is helping. Water changes won't help either since I'm just putting more toxic tap water in.
I've been think that maybe I should use Seachem Prime conditioner? Apparently it makes the ammonia and nitrite compounds less toxic.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #4 
megaredize

ya i would suggest prime because at double dose it detoxifies ammonia not sure about nitrite. ok well i looked it up on their website and it says it there is a binding agent that will render ammonia nitrite and nitrate non toxic. also says to detox nitrite in an emergency you can do a 5x the normal dose. since prime is so concentrated to begin with that wouldnt be much conditioner. here is their website http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ges/Prime.html
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #5 
deso

My tap water has more or less the same stats as yours, MadameDesu (nitrates are actually worse, 50ppm straight out of the tap), except with a pH of 8. It smells strongly of chlorine, too, and leaves a white chalky stain on all the sinks and the bathtub. I don't even bother with products and all that, I just use bottled water. A good brand is Volvic, but I'm not sure that they sell that one in the States.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #6 
MadameDesu

I really, really don't want to have to use bottled. That'd bankrupt me, so it's a last resort.

Anyways, I just bought a bottle of Prime on eBay, so I'm hoping that'll help.
I'll keep testing different water sources on my campus and update here.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #7 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Good luck finding some safe water. Prime is great and it also detoxifies nitrite and nitrate along with the ammonia but only for 48 hours is whet I have heard, but then you could do a water change and add more to the water. What size if your tank ?
Prime is 2 drops per gallon.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

you can invest in some plants. have a tub of plants to age water. i guess you can keep this by a window (no direct sun) or under a bright light.

Elodea is good in this case. Guppy grass is also good.

test each day to see how long you will need to age it with the plants before you can use it for your fish...

the plants will absorb the nutrients.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #9 
tpocicat

Seachem Prime is all I use and it works great. I'm glad that is what you're getting.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #10 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Good luck finding some safe water. Prime is great and it also detoxifies nitrite and nitrate along with the ammonia but only for 48 hours is whet I have heard, but then you could do a water change and add more to the water. What size if your tank ?
Prime is 2 drops per gallon.
My tank is 3 gallons. And WOW that is concentrated.
I'm not really sure what Prime does. It says that it "binds" the chemicals and makes them either non-toxic or less toxic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
you can invest in some plants. have a tub of plants to age water. i guess you can keep this by a window (no direct sun) or under a bright light.

Elodea is good in this case. Guppy grass is also good.

test each day to see how long you will need to age it with the plants before you can use it for your fish...

the plants will absorb the nutrients.
I've been thinking about plants for a while, but I'm not really sure where to get them.