Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #1 
Aluyasha

Question Fish for a 10 gallon?

I have a 10 gallon that I would like to put fish in (non betta this time). I have had platies and mollies before but the constant breeding they did was stressful for me, always having to make sure I did not siphon any up, protecting them from the filter intake, finding home for them as they aged...ect.
I was curious what others opinions are on the matter. I know most fish will breed but still. lol
Also I am interested in Zebra Danios and White Cloud Minnows...how many Zebra Danios can go in a 10 gallon and how many White Cloud Mountian Minnows could go in a 10 gallon? (not danios and minnows together)

Thanks in advance!
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #2 
shadowpony

Danios are too active for a 10 gal. I'm not sure, but I think its the same with white clouds. You wouldn't have to worry about breeding if you had ALL males or ALL females. That's why I'm thinking guppies. 3 in cycled tank would be nice. I say guppies for 10 gal. because they are fun and easy.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, no white clouds either.
Do you know your pH and hardness? There are lots of options if your water is in the softer range, but considering your live bearers thrived so well you probably have hard water.
You could do 3 dwarf puffers in a well planted tank. Otherwise, American flagfish comes to mind, or maybe a small school of rainbowfish, probably furcata could work..
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #4 
Mo

What are your water hardness and PH readings?
What are the dimensions of the tank?
What is the substrate of the tank
Is your tank planted with live plants
If so....
How planted is it, lightly, heavily, or in the middle
What is the filteration
Is it aerated
Pictures please

Olympia. Livebearers are adaptable fish and thrive in a wide range of setups. Just because they were breeding doesn't indicate that the OP has hard water, I've seen livebearer setups thrive in soft water tanks.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Livebearers have been known to get slime cost issues in soft water and have weakened immune systems. These fish are adapted to high mineral concentrations and can get internal organ damage due to deficiencies, which you can't see, they are still there, resulting in shortened life spans... Think how brackish water helps mollies get their mineral supplements, same story here. They will not thrive, improper conditions causes stress. Livebearers are nasty fish as it is, overbred to an unbelievable point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #6 
Mo

You are right that they are in the wild adapted to high mineral contents which causes hard water, but through generations of being bred domesticity. They have adapted to neutral water condition and thrive, most people don't know that guppies. Actually don't thrive and live as long in high temperatures. In lower temperatures around 74, this is where they really thrive. IMO. Livebearers are very adaptable, but mollies are the sensitive ones to soft water. Experince, research, etc. all proves that the other livebearers thrive in neutral water
Old 06-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I never said "oh you don't have neutral water." Also neutral and soft are two completely different terms, I never once brought up pH.. Soft water meaning around 50ppm... No way it's that soft, this crosses out the micro fish which do well in these small tanks....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #8 
Mo

Yes. Sorry, I used the wrong use if terms, I meant softer water, softer than hard would be anywhere in the neutral to soft area. So I should have specified. Neutral meaning in the middle of hard and soft.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #9 
Aluyasha

It is a typical 10 gallon tank. I have medium sized gravel and soft plastic plants. My water is hard, between 7.5-8.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

A school of daisy's rice fish or Oryzias woworae would do nicely in that set-up. They are pretty hardy and quite an attractive and personable fish. I have a small school of them and they will come and hand-feed at the surface.

If you wanted to do rainbows I would go for Pseudomugil tenellus as they tend not to be as active swimmers as furcatus which are similar to danios in behaviour. They may be hard to find overseas though as they are not as popular.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote