Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't think I've seen rice fish round here either. LBF stop it, you have all my dream species in plentiful supply over there.
What about a honey gourami?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Pft I just live close to the one LFS that actually routinely imports rarer species. Otherwise most fish here cost a fair amount (it's like $10-$20 just for a VT betta in most stores) and equipment is also about twice as much as what you pay overseas. It also costs a decent chunk of change to import anything in from AB and then they have to be held for 7 days quarantine.

Another option is that you could just put some golden medaka in there. They are hardy as heck and would probably do fine in a higher pH tank. I always think they are quite an attractive and very underrated fish. They are just like a poor man's blue-eye and depending where you live they most likely won't even need a heater.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #13 
Meggie6347

You could also put several balloon mollies in there...and some Pygmy cories if you have sand, some shrimp, snails if you want...

If you were to get something like guppies, do all male if you don't want babies...you don't need females...I would personally be able to put about 4 or 5 in my ten gallon, but that's because I have over filtration for this tank....if you don't have over filtration (meaning more than just a filter that's actually made for a ten gallon...mine is made for either a twenty or thirty gallon) I would put about 3 male guppies in there... The are beautiful to watch...but I also love my balloon mollies...they're so cute and always come up to me and follow me around...my guppies never did that
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #14 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Balloon Mollies get big - they prefer a 20 or 30 gallon. And they are better kept in brakish water.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #15 
Aurie

I have a 10 gallon with 6 mountain minnows, 1 zebra snail and 4 ghost shrimp and everyone is happy and healthy and the water is a constant 72 degrees (no heater) and natural plants...

Just a suggestion
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #16 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
I have a 10 gallon with 6 mountain minnows, 1 zebra snail and 4 ghost shrimp and everyone is happy and healthy and the water is a constant 72 degrees (no heater) and natural plants...

Just a suggestion
+1 Great idea, easy and cheap!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #17 
Aurie

Here's my setup (minus the bubble stone and large sword)

Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #18 
Catfish Billy

A small shoal of neon tetras would look great!
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote