Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #11 
Calypso77

They are in their own tanks.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

What I would recommend at this point is Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) with tannins treatment.

Good that you removed everything in the half gallon-this will work well for QT and treatment....Cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water
Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one.....
Either IAL (1lrg crushed) or Oak leaf (20 crushed)
I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf for my tannin source.

Let this steep for 30min to start releasing the tannins and salt to dissolve
Shake well before use and use this premixed treatment water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-After the last 25% water change-lower the water level so he doesn't have to struggle.

He needs to stay in this Epsom salt/tannin stained water in the covered QT for the duration of the treatment.

Tomorrow- start 50% water changes using the premixed treatment water (if you added tannins the water should look darker every day)
Make daily 50% WC with the premixed treatment water for the next 10-14 days.

Nutrition-if you have access to mosquito larva offer several rinsed several times a day.

If he start to get better in a day or so-Don't stop the treatment-he needs a full 10 days-longer if needed...Epsom salt is safe to use long term if needed.
If you have any live plants or a soft silk plant-add this to float to help make him feel more secure and to rest on-Dim lit quiet location.

Double check the water temp and try to maintain this in the 76-77F range for treatment.

Feeding a small amount of Pea for constipation- is NOT harmful to the Betta, however, you don't want to feed it as part of the staple since it provides little nutrition due to the short GI tract-

Once he is better we can go over proper care in a half gallon container...

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #13 
Calypso77

Thank you so much. Now I don't have tannins and don't think I can get that anywhere around here, so is it ok to just do the Epson Salts? And do you just get the regular Epson Salt you would use in your own bath?
Old 06-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Just the Epsom salt will help......If you have any Oak trees near by-you can use naturally dried and fallen leaves for the tannins....You can also use either decaf green or black tea to help darken the water for stress-but due to how it is processed it doesn't have the antibacterial/fungal properties.

Epsom salt-(magnesium sulfate) is what you want-usually you can find it in most stores that has a pharmacy dept. No added perfumes, dyes...etc....if it has the recipe on Oral intake for humans-it will be fish safe....
Old 06-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #15 
Calypso77

Bad news, just went to my only store and no Epson Salt there. I can't get anywhere else til Friday (live in middle of no where and don't drive). ;(
Old 06-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Dang the luck...no neighbor, family or friends that might have some...Since I am old...I can say this...lol....but us old people sometimes keep it on hand and people that garden usually will have some on hand too...great stuff for the garden too......

Good luck....
Old 06-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #17 
Calypso77

No luck there either. No one I know lives close. Same with neighbors. I have one grocery store I can try but not til tomorrow as they are now closed. Fingers crossed..
Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #18 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thats not enough water changes for a half gallon bowl, its just not safe and why take risks, I would change it every day if I were you. I had my Perseus in a half gallon bowl for a week till I got a 5 gallon tank for him and a heater and he loves to explore and swim and so happy I got such a bigger tank for him, better for him and me too as I can watch him better now and having a blast doing so ! Good luck if you need any more help just ask okay and welcome to the forum !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #19 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Great advice your are getting and just saw your post about being old and not driving and living in the middle of nowhere dang that sounds like me too ...lol I am so happy I can order things I need on line, check out wag.com they haves some good buys and of course Walmart.com they some some good tanks that are just plain with no filters for like 12 dollars. Nice to know you and see we have so much in common !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #20 
Calypso77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Great advice your are getting and just saw your post about being old and not driving and living in the middle of nowhere dang that sounds like me too ...lol I am so happy I can order things I need on line, check out wag.com they haves some good buys and of course Walmart.com they some some good tanks that are just plain with no filters for like 12 dollars. Nice to know you and see we have so much in common !
Being Old?!?!?! Where did I put that?

Tags
urgent