Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #71 
Calypso77

He ate a little of flakes this morning. Other then that he just floats in one spot. If I open the lid tho he swims around some.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #72 
Oldfishlady

Depending on the root cause and if its treatable-it can take several days to start to see any improvement......Don't beat yourself up over it....stuff happens sometimes no matter what we do.......

While you are gone I would keep him in the Epsom salt...its safe to use long term, however, the feeders blocks can sometimes foul the water....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #73 
EllaFish

Oh, please don't tell me you normally feed him every other day..large and infrequent feedings are a great way to NOT feed Bettas. Feed him minimum three times per day, with only as much as he will eat at a time (one piece at a time, wait, gulp, feed, wait, gulp, feed...) The more you spread his food out over the day, the better. Also, try some different foods- frozen brine shrimp or blood worms, blood worms maybe break into small pieces first. In either case you should mix them with a little water so they don't expand too much in his belly.

You should have him in a larger tank, I don't know why it "seemed" to get dirtier faster, but it shouldn't. Make a cover with plastic wrap if you have to. My sister had a really great setup with a divided 5g tank, which saved $$ on heaters. Use white plastic and a 1/8 drill bit, and some silicone glue. Easy peasy DIY divider, custom sized. Filter probably isn't necessary.
EllaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #74 
Oldfishlady

You don't want to soak the food in water-this will cause the nutrients and water soluble vitamins to leach out.

Pellets will swell up when you place them in water-but they don't swell up like that in the gut due to the gastric acid and enzymes-they break the food down for digestion....
Old 06-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #75 
Calypso77

He won't touch any food but his flakes. I have tried and he refuses. Right now I think if flakes is all he will eat well at least he is eating something..

I think everyone's take on feeding, keeping Betta's are completely different, my sister has has Betta's forever and keeps them in half gal tanks and feeds Pellets every other day, the one she has right now is almost 4 years old. He is doing great and is perfectly fine in his environment.

Which ever way you do keep your Betta I believe is your preference if it works for you great.

I am hoping my guy is well on the mend by the time I have to leave but I will make sure I do a 100% clean to fresh treatment water before I go.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #76 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaFish View Post
Oh, please don't tell me you normally feed him every other day..large and infrequent feedings are a great way to NOT feed Bettas. Feed him minimum three times per day, with only as much as he will eat at a time (one piece at a time, wait, gulp, feed, wait, gulp, feed...) The more you spread his food out over the day, the better. Also, try some different foods- frozen brine shrimp or blood worms, blood worms maybe break into small pieces first. In either case you should mix them with a little water so they don't expand too much in his belly.

You should have him in a larger tank, I don't know why it "seemed" to get dirtier faster, but it shouldn't. Make a cover with plastic wrap if you have to. My sister had a really great setup with a divided 5g tank, which saved $$ on heaters. Use white plastic and a 1/8 drill bit, and some silicone glue. Easy peasy DIY divider, custom sized. Filter probably isn't necessary.
Should be careful when you feeding your betta because they don't know how to stop. And sometimes they can get bloated which is not good.

I personally have a few bettas who i think will be about more than 5 years old and i feed 2 pellets in the morning and 2 in the evening. And about 2 times a week give them freeze dried blood worms instead of the pellets in the morning. And sometimes i give them cooked shrimp. And i fast them one day a week. They in 2.5 gall tanks. And I have two 5 gall tanks. I

Also i do have a few betta in the office i am working and they in one gall tank. I do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. And actually they fast for 2 days since office closed. One betta is about 3 or 3.5 years old and another abut 1.5 y old.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 06-20-2012 at 02:52 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #77 
Oldfishlady

Lots of different ways/methods to keep this species successfully....
Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #78 
Calypso77

Ok quick update. Went away last week so my fishy was left in his treatment water and had no food, wasn't sure what I'd be coming home to. Came home he was still with us and still floating on his side. Looked a little skinnier from not eating. I fed him (he ate a few flakes) cleaned his tank and while I was away I bought Bettafix, I thought what do I have to loose at trying that, this poor little guy wasn't getting any better. So I added that to his tank and following the instructions I have been cleaning his tank every other day and adding Bettafix for 6 days today and his eating has improved, he is still floating but no longer on his side and he is pooping a nice bit and also back to fighting me at cupping him which he hasn't done in weeks. I think this Bettafix must be helping some...
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #79 
Chrexis

Well if he is improving then I am happy to hear! I look forward to updates on his condition!
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #80 
ANHEL123

Oh good thank you for update. I am glad he feels better. Be careful with Bettafix. I am glad that it helping it just i read so many different opinions on that. Just make sure you follow the dosage instructions , better to put less dose then put a little bit more...
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
urgent