Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #1 
Pogthefish

Fish-room design?

My mom said I can turn the guest room into a fish room. She says I have to leave the bed there though. Is it worht it? and how can I move my tanks up to there? It is as big across as 2 twin size beds lol, and maybe 5 feet longer than the bed? so pretty small. I don't have anything to put the tanks on, right now they are on some fancy "credenzas" in the dining room, and my mom wants me to keep them there. So what can I put thm on? They are 20 and 30 gal. I will also get a shelf and put it in the staircase landing up to the attic, I have done that before. I will probably reapint it orange to match my attic bedroom. It is technically my bedroom, but my REAL bedroom is upstairs in the attic. We use it as a guest room. I also have to clean all my cutter out. Is it really worht it? I would liek a fish room, but... and how can I move the tanks, and what can I put them on? After I paint, how long before I can move the tanks in?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd do it, but if it's a guest room you'll probably have to turn off the filters at night for your guests.
As for moving, you'll need to drain the tank with some water into a bucket and put the fish in there (or use cups for betta). Then you'll have to shovel out the substrate into another bucket, and pour a tiny bit of water in there, to keep the substrate moist. Throw any filter cartridges in there too to keep em from drying out. You need to take everything out of the tank, even leaving the gravel in can cause a tank to collapse when you lift it up (and makes it way heavier).
If you have around $100, you can buy heavy duty shelving at a hardware store, otherwise, they'd be fine on the ground but if you end up getting a shelf one day you'll have to move them up all over again. I have heavy duty shelves in my bedroom and they are pretty decent.
Any fish room should be better than none, you can store all your junk in there I think you'll have room for more fish tanks too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #3 
Pogthefish

Moving them sounds like alot of work... I have already started taking over the dining room... Maye I will just set up any new tak I get there? But then If im moving someone I have to take them downstairs.. hmm. And idk if im getting new tanks for awhile
Old 06-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #4 
betta lover1507

i would love a fish room, but they took our spare room into a snake room -.- so all my stuff is in my bed room
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

Lol yeah.. I might just fully take over the dining room if I can do it without my parents noticing :P the only problem is it is a majpr commuter route so I have o have a path through without people being prone to knock stuff over.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #6 
ManInBlack2010

i would LOVE to have a fish room! I say go for it! You're lucky your parents encourage your hobby. Mine make me keep everything in my room and my room really isn't set up for easy water changes... I think it will be worth moving the tanks :)
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #7 
Pogthefish

They don't encourage, but the guest room is technically my room :P
They accept and sometimes compliment lol. My mom prefers marine fish so she cant offer a whole lot of advice.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #8 
thekoimaiden

I've actually thought about turning our guest room into a fish room (and actually have a QT in there right now), but there is one major problem with that: water changes when guests are there. If you almost never have guests, this would be okay, but I can imagine it would be really awkward when you do have guests over. Going in there every day to feed your fish and do water changes (if needed). I think a guest would be put off by all the intrusions. Why not just move them up to your room in the attic?

Personally, I've never been fond of the idea of a fish room. I'd rather have a fish tank in every room. I don't want to cram them all in one room. It's strange, but I think having more than one tank in a room detracts from the beauty of the tanks. The best-laid out tank or the most colorful fish steals the show, and the other tanks (which would look good on their own) are overshadowed. Right now I have a fish room (that is my bedroom and I can't wait until I can spread them throughout my apartment or townhome.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #9 
Pogthefish

Well we have 2 guest rooms, an we rarely have guests.. so i mean. My mom says we need to clean the WHOLE house before I do this now -_- might e awhile.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

That sounds like a mom's way of saying "no" without actually saying "no." If you know that almost no one is going to be sleeping in that room you might as well give it a shot. Fish rooms do make water changes a lot easier and it also gives you a place to store the tons of equipment that just collect in this hobby.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote