Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #1 
Tori410

Question Constipated and/or Sores?

Hi, this is my betta and I've had him for about 9 months now and I'm not sure quite how long ago this started but it seems to have escalated to this point. I'm quite scared now. He is currently situated in a 1 gallon bowl that I'm changing weekly and treating with BettaSafe. I didn't know until recently that you shouldn't wash the items in the habitat with soap but I've since stopped doing it. I'm not sure if my fish is constipated or if it has a bacterial infection. I currently have in my possession a treatment for Ich, a treatment for bacterial infections and fin rot, and Epsom salt. What should I use, if any? I really don't want my fish to die and would appreciate a quick response. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Tori410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #2 
Kenny G

In cases of physical damage and open wounds start with daily water changes. I would say every other day or so until the wounds begin closing and the fins are well on their way to regrowing. A water conditioner such as Nutrafin betta plus or Bettafix are good for damaged skin and fins. This is good for keeping wounds clean and speeding up the healing process. If you have an adjustable heater in the tank I would set it between 80 - 82 degrees.

Please keep me posted.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 
Tori410

Unfortunately...I went to do a water change and he died while in the transfer bowl. I'm very upset by this but I'll know what not to do next time. Thank you for the advice, though.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #4 
Aus

I'm so sorry for your loss.

That open sore was probably columnaris. It's also responsible for the fin rot. It's a bacterial infection, quite common in the summer as it just loves warm water. Apparently it lives in the water all the time, but is opportunistic in infecting sick, stressed, injured, elderly or otherwise immune compromised fish. Bettas are really susceptible to it and even the best-kept tanks can suffer a bout of 'fungus' -- it sometimes causes fuzzy patches, but not always, sometimes it's internal and manifests as organ damage or septicemia, causes open sores or infests the gills with no outward signs or 'fuzziness'.

Raising the heat is not always good - this infection loves heat and it speeds up..

Clean your bowl with a non-detergent bleach solution and leave it the sun a few days after rinsing it well, if you wish to get another betta for it.

Better, throw the 1 gallon bowl away and get a bigger tank, or make sure you change the water more frequently to avoid ammonia build-up, which can lead to weaker slime coat, gill problems and other issues, including weak immune responses to this disease.

Last edited by Aus; 06-17-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #5 
Kenny G

Wow I am very sorry to hear he passed. My condolences
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #6 
Tori410

thanks i'm either planning on getting a bigger tank and getting a plethora of different fish to ease my grief or another small pet. again, thanks for all the quick advice. i will definitely take it into consideration next time.

Tags
disease, help confused, quick response please