Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 
Lizzie the Badger

Question about medicines.

I now have four fish in the 10g tank. The new one is a small crowntail female I named Rakki. When I added her a changed the set up of the tank.

The other three had fin rot which I treated with Aquarium salt. They seemed fine, Ruby and Ritz stopped clamping their fins together. After awhile the black tips faded off of their fins. Zetta's tail stopped getting shorter.

Whether it was the new set up or a new fish, they got stressed and the fin rot is back. Rakki may or may not carry it because she still does not have her true colors.

Finally the questions- Should a use Jungle Fungus Eliminator or Jungle Fungus Clear? Should I use Stress Coat? If so, should I use it before one of the Jungle medicine or after?
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need some more info and pics....

Complete the sticky found at the top of this section and add....the more info the better.....

You don't want to add medication if not needed....Often this can make thing worse.....

Finding the cause first and fix that-then treat if needed....Often the best medication is clean water from water changes and good nutrition.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 
Lizzie the Badger

I do not know how to post pictures. I am not on any site where I share pictures. Is there away to post pics if they are saved to your computer?

Housing
What size is your tank?- 10g
What temperature is your tank?- usually stays 82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?-Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?- No
Is your tank heated?- Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?- Nope, all bettas.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?- Nutrafin max Betta color enhancing flakes (has freeze dried bloodworms, I feed those once a week), Aqueon Betta Food Daily nutrition for all bettas (pellets), and crushed omega one pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish?- Once every day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?- Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?- 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?- Nothing, the water I put in the tank has sat out for at least 24 hours. No problems have occured.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?- I do not have a master tester kit.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?- Ruby, Ritz~ Black tips on fins. Zetta~color loss. Rakki~ Again, she's new. She is turning blue.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?- I believe it's just because of a new pecking order, but Zetta seems a little agressive. Flares at the others, nips at times. Other than that she's not too agressive.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?- Weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?- Yes, I put 2 tablespoons of Doc Wellfishes' Aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?- No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? - Ruby,Ritz,Zetta~ I had them for months, I would guess that they are a year or close in age.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You can add pic to your album in your "user CP" area without going though a host...do that and then link us to the pic.....

If you are on city supplied water in the US-you will most likely have chloramines in the water too and this need to be neutralized by using a dechlorinating product....Is doesn't evaporate like chlorine and since it is ammonia based it can really do a number on fish health...Strongly recommend that you use some type of dechloranator-this may help with your chronic fin issues.

Right now-I would start by making some 25% daily water changes for a few days using double dose dechlorinator.

Black tips don't always mean fin rot-along with the black and/or discolored fin tips-they usually will look tattered, crusty/clumpy.... etc....

Clamp fins can sometimes be used as a sign of communication and not always a sign of illness.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 
Lizzie the Badger

Okay, I got some photos on. Thank you. Hopefully this works XD

This is Ruby. I know it's not clear, since the camera on my phone wasn't focusing on her but you can make out the damage on her anal fin.

My new girl Rakki.

Zetta's color loss.

Another one for Ruby's anal fin...

Ritz is kind of like Rubby, with the damage on her anal fin. But it's not as drastic and even already is close to healing.