Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #1 
AltheaGlyndwr

Algae in my "new" tank

I think this is where this kind of thread is supposed to go but correct me if I am wrong.

As of May 9th I have had a 5 gallon aquarium set up and have been allowing it to cycle. (within the fitst couple of days I lost my betta Rainbow to the unknown betta disease but have since cleaned out and have been allowing the tank to cycle.) In the tank there remains 6 ghost shrimp, a Marimo moss ball, an Endoa plant, a "lucky" bamboo, heater, light, and pebbly gravel. Also it is filtered.

Recently I have noticed what I can only identify as algae (brownish by the looks of it) growing on the walls of my tank. Now I was wondering and kinda wanting one anyway, should I get an otto? I know that plecos get really big but I read up and ottos only get about 2 inches. Could this kind of enviornment still allow me to house a betta in a couple of months? I also intend to add a few more plants like a java moss and others.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #2 
bahamut285

Unfortunately a 5 gallon isn't adequate space for fishy friends with a betta, and Oto's are extremely sensitive to water conditions because they are usually fragile. Algae is just a natural part about owning a cycled tank. The best way to control is it so monitor how often your tank light is on and to scrub it off yourself with a sponge.

If it gets extremely bad an unruly regardless of what you do (extra cleaning, extra water changes), you may have a high amount of phosphates in your water.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #3 
AltheaGlyndwr

Alright thank you very much~ I did however already go and get and oto before I read this response but I hadn't intended to get a betta until at least the end of summer by which time I might have moved and will be able to get a 10 gal which would be grand. :) I shall definitely keep in mind my space.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, otto