Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #1 
GrayL

New Betta sits on bottom?

Hey all, I have a new baby betta I got (about .75 of an inch long) and when I first got him, he was pretty happy. He'd swim around, and explore. Now all he does is sit on the bottom. I feed him enough, but I haven't changed the water yet. It is a .5 gallon tank. I've had him for a couple days, should I change the water? How much? Thanks for your help.
GrayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #2 
xjenuhfur

Baby bettas are much harder to take care of than fully grown ones. Did you use water conditioner with the original water? Also, YES change the water.

What are you feeding him?
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #3 
GrayL

I did use water conditioner. I have some floating mini pellets and some flakes I feed him. I crush up the flakes so that they are small enough, but not dusty. I know he can eat the pellets because I've seen it. How much water should I change? Is there a guide you could point me too?
Old 06-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #4 
xjenuhfur

I would probably do a 100% change.

I would also look into getting at least a 1gal tank. The larger the tank the less water you have to change each time you do a water change and the less often. I would probably suggest a water change on a tank that small about every day to every other day.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

In the half gallon with a baby.....I would recommend 50% 3 times a week and 100% monthly-Make sure the replacement water is pretty close in temp as the tank water temp.

What is the water temp.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #6 
xjenuhfur

Listen to OFL, she a is queen here. Her picture needs a crown on the fishie. -photoshop-
Old 06-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #7 
GrayL

I've never done this before. Should I get a cup of water, fill it with the water thats in the tank, and put the betta in it while I change the water? Is there a guide somewhere? The temperature in the room is in the high 70's, so I suspect the temperature in the cube is adequate.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #8 
GrayL

Nevermind, I talked to my dad who helped me out.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

You need to get a thermometer to monitor the tank water temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes.....your goal is to keep the water temp in the 78-80F range for a baby Betta....

You may or may not need a heater-but if the room temp is 70F...you most likely will need a heater and heating a half gallon can be tricky...

Water changes-I wouldn't remove the Betta-use a small cup and dip half the water out and replace with like temp dechlorinated water.
Once a week-give the substrate a stir and then dip half the water out-it should settle within and hour-If not, then you either missed a water change or you are over feeding....

With the 100% water change you will need to remove the Betta-if you still have the small temporary cup he came in-this works great for a holding container-be sure and use the lid since they are good jumpers...
Be sure and acclimate back to the water after the 100% by adding small amount of the new water to the half full holding container over 10-15min more or less....then net or release in the tank....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #10 
GrayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You need to get a thermometer to monitor the tank water temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes.....your goal is to keep the water temp in the 78-80F range for a baby Betta....

You may or may not need a heater-but if the room temp is 70F...you most likely will need a heater and heating a half gallon can be tricky...

Water changes-I wouldn't remove the Betta-use a small cup and dip half the water out and replace with like temp dechlorinated water.
Once a week-give the substrate a stir and then dip half the water out-it should settle within and hour-If not, then you either missed a water change or you are over feeding....

With the 100% water change you will need to remove the Betta-if you still have the small temporary cup he came in-this works great for a holding container-be sure and use the lid since they are good jumpers...
Be sure and acclimate back to the water after the 100% by adding small amount of the new water to the half full holding container over 10-15min more or less....then net or release in the tank....
We keep our house around 80 degrees. What we did was get two large cups, fill one with tap water, condition it, then wait for it to even out with the temperature in the tank (I used a thermometer, don't worry.) then we got a device (I don't know the name. It has a tube coming out of it, so it can suck water and things off of the bottom. He uses it to feed his fish in his salt water tank, but we cleaned it out.) and sucked all the exess food and waste out of the tank, while removing water. When the water in both cups were about even, I slowly added the water that was in the "clean" cup.