Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #1 
i1100

Question "General Cure" use

I am currently treating my lethargic beta who's been sick for a few weeks with Maracyn I and II.

After going to the store, I just bought General Cure, which seems to describe "Wasting Disease" as what is happening to my fish.

My question is: can that be mixed with Maracyn I/II treatment or should I do it after I complete the 5 days of Maracyn.

Thanks for you help!
i1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta is not well.....

Its important to figure out the cause before you treat-often the treatment can do more harm than good....

Complete this sticky and post a pic......the more info the better....
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #3 
i1100

i've heard you're the expert, OFL : )
thank you for your response.
the biggest problem is that there is no visible signs of illness.

Housing
What size is your tank? hospital tank (for the past week), 1.5 gal prior
What temperature is your tank? heated to safe temp range
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet, 3 times a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? about every 2-3 days while in the hospital tank.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, laying on the bottom, back end sinks when sims.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 3-4 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? maracyn I and II
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? a few months
Old 06-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

How long has he been on the antibiotics, any history of injury or has he jumped, fallen...etc...What is the water temp and are you using an independent thermometer.
You have had him for a few months or he is a few months old and he has been like this for 3-4 weeks...lethargic and dragging his hind end......Was he healthy, active, swimming normal when you first got him.....he still has a good appetite...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #5 
i1100

i've had him for about 4 months. he's been super active until i placed a live plant in the vase a month ago. within days he sank to the bottom so i took out the plant. i didnt want to give him meds because he didnt have any visible signs of illness, so i kept water warm and did more frequent water changes because water would get visibly dirty within days.

he eats and poops fine. i've been doing the maracyn treatment for the past 4 days. i want to try General Cure (metronidazole and praziquantel) packets because it describes his symptoms more accurately.

can i mix these or no?

thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #6 
marktrc

he only eats one pellet 3 times a week?
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #7 
ZackyBear

Don't really recommend mixing medicine, as medicine already stresses fish and mixing them would make it worse. Though I would have to say that maybe your betta is starving? Yes they can go a week without eating, but it still weakens and harms them. Depending on the size of the pellet, he should be fed daily :o (I use life spectrum and feed 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening since they are pretty small, but fast on Sundays to prevent bloating)

Do you know what the sickness is? If he was just lethargic and not showing any other symptoms, I would stop the treatment and keep an eye on him to see if he shows any others.

If the plant covered the top/surface of the vase didn't leave any space, he could have had trouble breathing.

In a vase, you should do 100% water changes every 2-3 days with warm water (if you can't stick a heater in it).

Last edited by ZackyBear; 06-19-2012 at 03:10 PM.
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #8 
i1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktrc View Post
he only eats one pellet 3 times a week?
correct.
while he's "sick" that is the perfect amount of time to make sure he poops properly. after he recovers i'll probably do it more often. he's pretty tiny.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #9 
i1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBear View Post
Don't really recommend mixing medicine, as medicine already stresses fish and mixing them would make it worse. Though I would have to say that maybe your betta is starving? Yes they can go a week without eating, but it still weakens and harms them. Depending on the size of the pellet, he should be fed daily :o (I use life spectrum and feed 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening since they are pretty small, but fast on Sundays to prevent bloating)

Do you know what the sickness is? If he was just lethargic and not showing any other symptoms, I would stop the treatment and keep an eye on him to see if he shows any others.

If the plant covered the top/surface of the vase didn't leave any space, he could have had trouble breathing.

In a vase, you should do 100% water changes every 2-3 days with warm water (if you can't stick a heater in it).

hmm 6 pellets a day seems a bit extreme...i can probably go back to one pellet a day now, since he poops fine. he wouldn't for about a week.

i dont know what the sickness is. the only symptoms are cloudy, slimy water with a lot of clear fish discharge (normally present in much smaller amounts), and fish's tail sinking causing him to lay on the bottom most of the time.

i did 2 prescribed general cure treatments and water is much clearer on the 3rd day, so im hoping that took care of the bacteria.

we'll see what happens when i do the full water change.

ps- water is heated.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #10 
ZackyBear

It really depends on the size, and the ones I use are extremely tiny (just a bit smaller than their eggs) hehe x3

Clear fish discharge? As in white stringy poo? o.o

I dunno about the tail-sinking, since my boy does it all the time. It only happens when he stop swimming for a bit since he has a lot of finnage.

For the water, that is actually normal (My 1.5 gal gets water changes every 2-3 days to prevent this) unless it happens basically overnight . Then if that happens it could mean an imbalance of something in the water (PH, ammonia, etc.). You can take a cup of the water to a petsmart or petco to get it tested for free :)
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
general cure, maracyn