Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #1 
CrazyForBettas

Question My Betta Likes A Smaller Tank???

Okay, so my fish, Goofy, got an upgrade to a bettabow 2.5. I finally had enough to buy her one with enough conditioner/filters etc. Before this, she had on of those .5 gallon tanks, obviously not a suitable home for a fish. At first, she seemed unhappy with the betta bow. Now she likes it and is darting around happy as can be. However, I had to put her in the .5 gallon (now known as the quarantine/travel tank) as I am leaving for vacation soon and I need to make it easier on the fish sitter. She seems so energetic and happy in the .5 gallon, happier then she is in the bettabow. Is this even possible/does this make sense? I'm obviously keeping her in the bettabow unless I upgrade her tank again, but still, I'm a little confused. Don't bettas usually like bigger space?
CrazyForBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #2 
ClassicCharm

I don't have a scientific answer for you, but I know that I had one male who was much happier in his 1 gallon undecorated, unfiltered, unheated quarantine bowl than he was in his cycled, filtered, heated, decorated 2.5 gallon tank. He became a vicious tail-biter in his tank :(

Just do whatever is best for your little one. There could be lots of reasons for her behaviour. Could it be that the water was kept cleaner in her .5 gallon than her 2.5? Was the 2.5 cycled when she went into it? If not, that could have been stressful for her. Did you acclimate her to the warmer temp or put her right into it from the cooler water?
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #3 
CrazyForBettas

No, I actually clean the water more in the 2.5, it was cycled, and I acclimated her to it. strange... maybe I'll keep her in a 1 gallon.
CrazyForBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #4 
IndeedPanda

Hmm... It's hard to tell. I know mine seemed to play more in his 2gal than his new 10gal, but I think that's because he quickly accepted the area as his. The bigger tank has a lot more too it and he's slower in it, like he's not quite sure. I added some large smooth decorations (a jar and a pagoda) and live plants so the tank wasn't so vast and he's been happier. Maybe yours is very territorial and wants something small? Or ... I'm not sure. That's pretty strange.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote