Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #1 
lelei

Question Slight Dilemma; Need some Help..PLease!!

Could some one steer me in the right direction..just not sure what is the best way to do this?? Please read on..It is somewhat lenghy..but want to help you to understand my dilemma..ok so here goes...

I just got a beautiful lil blue VT in my possession, and I want to do the best I can for him, so with the fact that I have a new tank, and moving my Sammy in it, he will have a great new home, or should I put him in the New Tank, and leave Sammy in his?

this lil guy is small, and sammy is the one who right now needs a bigger tank, but I am wondering if it would be better to put (new fish) in the 5 gal?? not even sure if he is male, cuz the person who had him, is not sure, (uggh)

I am hoping to get him used to a bigger home, his is quite small, and is in a vase, but don't know if that was his everyday home..I beleive I need to accliminate him? So tonight I want to make the change, Sammy to the new tank, the 5 gallon is ready, ..but then I need to change the water in sammy's tank, the (3 gal) but I am thinking of just getting this lil guy, into a Kritter keeper, for a couple days, before I put him in the 3 gal..or can I just put him in after I transfer Sammy out of the 3 gal..I am not sure?? ..after I change the water?? Also I am going to try and upload a pic soon:)

So what do you guys think, also he looks ill..he has some fin rot..and he is blue..but not a bright blue, he is gray/brown, like a washed out blue prob cuz of being sick..ugghh) now I am taking on a sick fish..cuz she said no one will take him/her.
If I put him in KK..I will do some Epson for his fin rot, hopefully it will help..it doesn't look that bad..but a lil is notiecable.

So 2 questions, Should I leave sammy in 3 gal, put new lil guy in 5, or wait and put new lil guy in Kritter keeper, for a couple days, then transfer sammy to 5 and new fishy to sammy's old 3 gal?

Also If you could give me a step by step Acclimation process, Would greatly appreciate it that would help so much as well

Thanks so much
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #2 
bahamut285

I would put the new guy in the KK with AQUARIUM SALT (not epsom) for his fin rot so you can do 100% water changes during his treatment. I would also go ahead and move Sammy to the 5 gallon so while the new guy is recovering in the KK, it would give you some time to prepare the 3 Gallon for him when he gets better.

As for acclimating, the best way to do it is to get a piece of tupperware, or even better, the cup that bettas originally come in (I keep all of mine). Just scoop them up with their current water and float the cup in the new tank for about 10-15 minutes to get them used to the new TEMPERATURE (even if its the same).

Then, slowly tip the cup to scoop up a little bit of the new water. Continue to scoop small amounts of new water over the course of 10-15 minutes, then I normally just tip the cup sideways and wait until they have the courage to venture out of the cup into their new tank.

I hope your new betta gets well soon
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #3 
lelei

Ok, ugg..I don't have AQ salt, does Petco sell it?? It's the only Pet place around my area..So I found out he was in a wine glass, at a wedding, and was in this vase, with broken pieces of turquoise colored glass, very sharp..and now he wasnt even swimming much..and I couldnt just watch him, so we baggied him, and opend a wide tupperware container, around a 3-4 qt..and took the water he was in and put him in the tupperware container, so tonight, I will get him accliminated..to the kritter keeper, and some aq salt..hopefully if i can find some today..
Old 06-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #4 
lelei

Btw he is adjusting to the new container quite well, swimming much better:)
Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #5 
lelei

Arrow Meet Sapphire!! Update to Rescue!!

How could I say no!!. Can yu see Fin Rot or is it just bcuz the lack of swimmin space!!
Attached Images