Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #11 
SilentBetta

Can someone also identify snails for me too because I have a few in my dads pond and I wanna puyt them into my bettas tank
SilentBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #12 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBetta View Post
Can someone also identify snails for me too because I have a few in my dads pond and I wanna puyt them into my bettas tank
From what I read recently, snails are both male/female. With the exception of a couple of species, I believe.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #13 
ClassicCharm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettaluver4evr View Post
males* oh goodness, what a fail. I apoligize my stupid iphone. >_< I'm sorry! On my phone I couldn't see, I only saw the long fins. She's a lovely spadetail. :)
Lucy, however is most DEFINITELY male. Those fins are enormous. Looks like a delta tail male. He's very handsome though.
Haha no worries :) Thanks, I've grown really partial to the spadetail females.

Well, now I'm in a pickle. My five gallon can divide for two males, which is how I had it before. But now that he's got the place to himself, Dexter is LOVING life, and is in the best shape I've seen him since I got him over a year ago. So I don't really want to divide it again. And now I have two more males. Crap.

The weird thing about Lucy (who now needs a new name, I suppose) is that (s)he doesn't respond to the other male (who wants to KILL him), or to any of the females. (S)He doesn't flare or show off at all- active, but not interested, which also led to my thinking it's female.
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #14 
Bettaluver4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCharm View Post
Haha no worries :) Thanks, I've grown really partial to the spadetail females.

Well, now I'm in a pickle. My five gallon can divide for two males, which is how I had it before. But now that he's got the place to himself, Dexter is LOVING life, and is in the best shape I've seen him since I got him over a year ago. So I don't really want to divide it again. And now I have two more males. Crap.

The weird thing about Lucy (who now needs a new name, I suppose) is that (s)he doesn't respond to the other male (who wants to KILL him), or to any of the females. (S)He doesn't flare or show off at all- active, but not interested, which also led to my thinking it's female.
I have a spadetail too, she's my favorite girl. <3 :) And oh goodness! Well I wouldn't divide it if you feel the fish you've had for a while will be negatively affected. :/ Maybe you have some old vases or QT tanks that will do until you can get something more suitable? Just a thought! :)
I think your new males are quite lovely. :) And lol Lucius/Lucifer is very handsome. Maybe he's just docile right now? Brought home a VT boy last weekend that is now my fiestiest betta. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #15 
ClassicCharm

They're all in qt for now, and luckily a friend of mine may have an old 10g kicking around that she will send my way, so it may be okay after all!

Thanks, I like them both a lot. I just couldn't pass up a Mustard gas Double tail!! :D
Old 06-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #16 
Bettaluver4evr

Oh me either! :D If I were allowed to get another betta, and I saw 1... I'd die. >_< I'm very glad that you were able to keep them. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #17 
MoonShadow

"Lucy" Is most definitely 100% a male, without a doubt! And a beautiful male! I also agree that Nora looks to be a young veiltail male, young males can display "egg spots", its a lot more common then people think it is.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #18 
lvandert

Lovely might be a male as well. If it is a she, she has some very big ventrals, which worries me...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #19 
lilyth88

The last fish is a boy.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #20 
ClassicCharm

Sigh. I thought so. I should never have listened to the fish guy *Shakes fist*.

As for the two spades, the Blue and red one is definitely female. She's got a big eggy belly, a huge spot, and vertical lines on her sides that get more pronounced whenever I put her close to a male. The picture is deceptive with regards to her ventrals.

As for Nora, I'm sure she is also female. She's quite big to be a young male (body is over an inch long), and has a big round belly as well. That's normal body type for the females from whoever supplies my LPS, like my red spadetail who is definitely also female:

Thanks for everyone's help! Looks like I landed myself some extra boys and will need to pick up at least one other female...who is definitely female haha

Last edited by ClassicCharm; 06-19-2012 at 11:44 PM.