Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #21 
surprize30

idk i can tell but if i ha to guess it looks like a male
surprize30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #22 
teeneythebetta

OOOHH AHHH. Beautiful fish! I'm so sorry to hear about your babies that've passed. :(

Holly reminds me of my very active Teeney. She has a 10 gallon to herself and she is active. During cleanings I put her in her cup and she goes CRAZY. She seems mad that she is in such a small space xD
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #23 
ClassicCharm

Thanks Teeney :)

Yep, that's how Holly is. I guess her name suits her- she's named after Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's. She's also an enormous pig haha.
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #24 
Twilight Storm

There is a TV actress who is named macey with red hair even. :D

But another name idea for lovely who needs a name. How about one of my more favorite smaller time actresses, Amy. (Amy Madigan) If you watch Criminal Minds she was the "Psycho with a whistle." and she appeared in a lot of other things too. - just an idea. Also Brigitte Helm from Metropolis. ;) I'm a geek I love that movie.

Actually I take back wanting a store by me that sold such nice looking females for pets...I would probably have a few community tanks and I need to stop buying pet bettas!!! :D
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #25 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Lucy, the nameless one, and Nora look like young males. Young males sometimes have egg-spots.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #26 
ClassicCharm

Twilight, thanks for the suggestions :) I think I'm going to call her Violet.

Okay, so Lucy is definitely a boy. I'm still holding out that Nora and Violet are females. I understand that young males can have egg spots, but I have a hard time believing that they're that young- they're each over an inch long not including fins obviously, and most of the females from this supplier are this type. Also, the way they're interacting with other males and females leads me to think female.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #27 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCharm View Post
Twilight, thanks for the suggestions :) I think I'm going to call her Violet.

Okay, so Lucy is definitely a boy. I'm still holding out that Nora and Violet are females. I understand that young males can have egg spots, but I have a hard time believing that they're that young- they're each over an inch long not including fins obviously, and most of the females from this supplier are this type. Also, the way they're interacting with other males and females leads me to think female.
The other thing you can do is make them flare and see if they have a beard...
Although unless you plan on putting any of them together, it wouldn't matter and wouldn't really be worth stressing them out.
I had to do that with one of my females since theyre going to have a sorority.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #28 
ClassicCharm

Yep, my girls are going into a sorority, which is why this all needs to be straightened out. They're all in qt right now with their cups grouped together. I'm keeping an eye on behaviour :)
Old 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #29 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCharm View Post
Yep, my girls are going into a sorority, which is why this all needs to be straightened out. They're all in qt right now with their cups grouped together. I'm keeping an eye on behaviour :)
Good luck! I wish I could QT mine within sight of each other. I have them on a small two story wall shelf, two bettas on each level :/
Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #30 
ClassicCharm

So, I performed a bit of an experiment. Which was really just putting qt cups beside each other haha.

Lucy- definitely a boy. Wow. You should see that beard.

Violet- definitely a girl. I put her beside the mustard gas boy. Definitely no beard, and she was showing off for him and her vertical lines went white. She also had one poo covered in fluffy white stuff.

Nora- will not flare or show any interest in anyone I put close to her, male or female. Sigh.