Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #21 
ZackyBear

Better to be safe than sorry, LOL! That's just a beacon for a teething pup!!!

With Eye problems, a leash is critical :o He is an adorable puppy! I hope you take very good care of him~

I love how GSD's ears flop when they are younger
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

Ohhh yeah lol a leash is a MUST. They used to make a stiff lead, but they discontinued it... BLAH!! D: That would've actually been a great idea.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

his eyes are crossed outwards and I found he can see heavy shadows and brighter lights... that is it.

Anyways, anyone got names?? =D
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #24 
Sena Hansler

So, an update...

Dean named him Scott... after Cyclops actor from X Men?? Anyways, all I keep thinking is "beam me up, Scottie!" xD

ANYWHO... The pup does very well in a crate. Sense of security, I guess.

Also... I question the blindness. Yes, he runs into things. HOWEVER, how his eyes are crossed, and there's a few times I've seen his head "shake" side to side as if to off set the balance in his eyes... Perhaps he has double vision? If it is in that case, like humans, maybe he can get used to it - while surgery can happen? I dunno xD I have to research it lol!! He doesn't follow your movements, but he can see where you went, mostly, or close to.

Otherwise he can see shadow and light.

As for stairs: Yes, the infamous stairs!!! First time pushing and pulling, lifting his paws for him, second time Gurgi got him to go upstairs, and third time he did it on his own, slowly. This morning, he did it by himself, no support, no pulling, no pushing!!

Thing to work out of him:

1. dominating is NOT okay.
2. biting hurts!! Biting means no playtime. (as we know we take on the roll of littermates!)
Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #25 
registereduser

Keep watch for swelling on his eyes. My badly bred JRT was blind from lens luxation and eventually both eyes had to be removed. The whole area around the eye swells and is very painful.

Did the parents have all the tests done for eyes. elbows, hips? If not I see some expensive surgeries in the future for Scottie
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #26 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Keep watch for swelling on his eyes. My badly bred JRT was blind from lens luxation and eventually both eyes had to be removed. The whole area around the eye swells and is very painful.

Did the parents have all the tests done for eyes. elbows, hips? If not I see some expensive surgeries in the future for Scottie
OMG I'm so sorry! Poor baby!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Both parents had tests done. Scott is the first blind pup she has gotten in 20+ years breeding.

I'm thinking he has double vision... He follows large movements (slowly, but he does)

BTW random question.. Is fundraising for a surgery for a pet/animal, legal without a permit or license thingy?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #28 
Meggy2105

Just thought I would offer my opinion

My friend has a Old english Sheepdog (aka the dulux dog) who is as far as we are aware 90% blind. He seems to see dark shadows like scottie. If I have any advice to give you it would be to get a Halti or Head collar for him. My friend found that Jeeves would see the car shadows passing at speed and wanted to chase them, and as you can imagine even as a pup he was extremely strong.

We tried leading him with her other dog but as he grew the other dog was getting dragged round like a tin can on a string. Sometimes I have to admit it was rather comical. We tried harnesses but they just encouraged him to pull, so we tried the Halti. Now both Owner and Jeeves are safe and Sasha isn't being dragged around anymore.

Just a thought
Meggy2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #29 
Sena Hansler

Hmm I'll look into the halti =DI just want something that gives me control, without hurting him. And I know since he is a strong dog, even as a pup, and he's been coughing because of the collar >< But, he got up the stairs again by himself <3

Also, anyone know where to find a stiff lead leash? I won't need it when he is bigger, but even if I can fashion on for now.

PLUS!!! Awesomest landlord guy, said he would hold the place for July, then when we have the damage deposit it's ours <3 2 bedroom basement suite, but it has a fenced yard!! And he loves animals. And so does the person upstairs haha. It'll cost us 875 which includes our utilities...compared to here, which is 750 not including any utilities, and it can ttoaly 1100-1400.... Hoorah!!

-gets run into- OW!! x.x yes, a fenced yard will be awesome.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #30 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Hmm I'll look into the halti =DI just want something that gives me control, without hurting him. And I know since he is a strong dog, even as a pup, and he's been coughing because of the collar >< But, he got up the stairs again by himself <3

Also, anyone know where to find a stiff lead leash? I won't need it when he is bigger, but even if I can fashion on for now.

PLUS!!! Awesomest landlord guy, said he would hold the place for July, then when we have the damage deposit it's ours <3 2 bedroom basement suite, but it has a fenced yard!! And he loves animals. And so does the person upstairs haha. It'll cost us 875 which includes our utilities...compared to here, which is 750 not including any utilities, and it can ttoaly 1100-1400.... Hoorah!!

-gets run into- OW!! x.x yes, a fenced yard will be awesome.
Awesome! I wish I had a fenced in yard... O_o
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote