Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #1 
BeckyFish97

What do I do?

Ok so from my previous thread some people will know that my first attempt at breeding gandalf and lily didn't quite go to plan.
Gandalf is now refusing to build a bubblenest, but lily is showing signs of wanting to breed with him!Do I take them out recondition and try again, or do I give them another go without the bubblenest and see where it goes?
I don't understand why he wont build a nest, when she is showing such posotive signs!I conditioned them both for two weeks on live foods every day twice a day, but gandalf just doesn't seem to care!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #2 
Mo

My make didn't build a bubblenest until the female was let out into the aquarium. If its heavily planted then I would let her go. After about 2 days and no bubblenest I would then seperate them. Or if the male is being overly aggressive and attacking the female. Showing off and a few nips in the tail for both fish is normal
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 
BeckyFish97

Ok thanks mo!I will go out today and get a few more bushy plants and then let her out!Thanks!
Old 06-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #4 
Mo

Hornwort, anacharis, java moss, and Rotala, both Rotundifolia, and indica are all great plants. They provide optimal cover, and are very bushy.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #5 
BeckyFish97

Ok thanks, will have to wait another day, the shop wasnt open when I went down earlier!also I will have to clean the breeding tank, it is filthy after just 3 days!looks like even the best layed plans don't work out sometimes.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #6 
PitGurl

This is just my opinion but I would not put hornwort in a spawn tank unless you can provide optimal conditions for it. In my experience it is sensitive and the slightest change will cause it to drop all its needles. Trying to remove hundreds of needles to prevent an ammonia spike and not suck up teeny fry is not fun. Java moss is the best stuff imo....
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #7 
BeckyFish97

Ok will keep that in mind when buying!Thanks for your input :)
Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #8 
jeffegg2

Cool

You probably don't even need to buy anything... just put some obsticals in the tank for the female to hide... small cups laying on their side... anything water safe.

And use clean aged clorimine free water.

Put them together just before nightfall, turn off the lights, and check them in the morning (from a distance). He may slap her around a bit, but that is natural. You have to be brave with them if you want to breed.....

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #9 
BeckyFish97

Ok thanks jeff, I will do that!He has started building again so hopefully it will be third time lucky!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #10 
Timberland

Im another believer in Java moss! Some times the males dont build nests until they have begun spawning, Ive had a couple do that. Id let them go at it and see what happens. :) Good luck!
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote